Recipe Empanadas (Pasty, Fish or Meat Pie, Pockets)

Francesca

Local time
9:32 AM
empanadadough2012-11-09%2023.33.02.jpg
empanadas2012-11-09%2023.32.42.jpg

Empanadas: Photograph Copyright: Francesca Guillamet.

An Empanada is a stuffed pastry, baked or fried which can be made from wheat flour or corn flower. The name hails from the Spanish Verb: Empanar, denoting to wrap and or coat in bread. Empanadas first appeared in Medieval Portugal and Galicia, Spain in 1520, and there is a book in Catalan which documented these Empanada récipes called: Libre del Coch, written by: Author Robert de Nola ( 1520). Empanadas can be stuffed with: Cod fish, Tuna fish, Sardines, Cheeses, Meats, and / or Chorizo or Sausages. Here is my recipe for a Mini Tapa:

Catalan Spinach & Cheese Empanadas:
Spinach
Chevre (Goat cheese) or Cow Cheese Ricotta
Fresh or frozen Spinach ( extremely well drained and patted dry )
Whole wheat or unbleached Organic Flour
Depending on amount: 1 or 2 whole eggs for the dough.
Salt of choice to taste
Evoo ( Spanish extra virgin olive oil )
Spices that you enjoy or without
Shallot or onion
Raisins

1) Sauté the raisins in a tablsp or two of Evoo.
2) Add the shallot ( if you wish garlic ) and fresh spinach leaves and sauté 10 minutes until tender and nicely integrated.
3) Now drain the Evoo well and reserve this part of the filling or stuffing.
4) Basic dough: Flour, eggs.
5) As you can see from the 1st photo: Prepare flour and egg in a large crystal bowl and then roll out on a Wood board with a dusting of flour.
6) This dough does not require being covered to rise.
7) Roll out to flat as in photo.
8) Place a tablsp of the cooled spinach combined with ricotta or room temperatrue goat cheese onto the centre of each flat pancake size disc.
9 )Prepare to slice the dough in half moons shape or circular.
10 ) Take a drop of wáter which will seal the empanada borders, and with the back of a fork, press down to seal borders.
11) I place on a baking tray on Evoo washed aluminum, however, you can fry.
12) Bake until Golden and crisp: 180 C for approx. 10-12 minutes depending on the size of the Empanadas.

Enjoy !

Last edited by a moderator:
Empanadas, pasties etc. There are so many versions of this wonderful snack/meal across the world. Its a great vegetarian dish and can also be made vegan quite easily. Such a versatile recipe!

Empanadas, pasties etc. There are so many versions of this wonderful snack/meal across the world. Its a great vegetarian dish and can also be made vegan quite easily. Such a versatile recipe!

@morning glory,

Yes, I agree with you. There are thousands of fillings one could créate as well as doughs ..

Thanks and have a lovely weekend ..

I make Cornish pasties every so often and Indian Samosas but I have never made Empanadas. I intend to try this out.

Fried pies. Sweet and savory. Though you can bake instead fry them.

Back
Top Bottom