Ever heard of 'Radler'?

Navii

Veteran
Local time
7:05 PM
Here in Austria we have something called Radler. I'm not quite sure why it has its name, because it would mean cyclist in english but it basically just is beer mixed with lemonade in about a 1:1 ratio. We also have different kinds of Radler, the ones I like best are Lemon and Grapefruit Radler. But for some reason I only ever saw it in Austria, Croatia and Southern Germany (Bavaria). I'm not quite sure what the reason for that is, but I really enjoy it and I think other countries should have it too. You can even try it out yourself if you got a Lager beer and some kind of lemonade at home, just mix them together and you are good to go.

I'm not a mixologist, but I do frequently like to spike a drink. Beer is usually subtle enough that I wouldn't have considered it, but this sounds really refreshing especially with summer in. Thanks for posting this! :)

Over here in the UK at least, it's called Shandy. Like you said, it's just beer of some kind mixed in with a lemonade, or ginger ale etc. Something sort of carbonated soft drink anyway. The ratios aren't always 1:1 and they can be adjusted depending upon the different brands, or even who is mixing it. Never been that fond of it myself.

I know in Ireland where I live, there's Rockshandy, which is lemonade mixed with orangeade or fresh orange juice, but for some reason everyone looks at me funny when I ask for this in England.

In the U.K. Radlers is marketed as cloudy lemonade shandy around the 2 percent mark,there are a wide range of premium brands such as Fosters but the cheaper supermarkets have caught on Aldi do a can for about 60 pence,ideal in our house for my teenage sons

Over here in the UK at least, it's called Shandy. Like you said, it's just beer of some kind mixed in with a lemonade, or ginger ale etc. Something sort of carbonated soft drink anyway. The ratios aren't always 1:1 and they can be adjusted depending upon the different brands, or even who is mixing it. Never been that fond of it myself.

I know in Ireland where I live, there's Rockshandy, which is lemonade mixed with orangeade or fresh orange juice, but for some reason everyone looks at me funny when I ask for this in England.

Oh, looks like it actually is available but I was just asking for the wrong name. I thought it's just not available at all because all barkeepers gave me weird looks when I asked for a Radler. Maybe next time I'll get one when I ask for a Shandy. I actually haven't mixed beer with ginger ale yet but that sounds like it would taste great too. What would you say is a good ratio when mixing beer with ginger ale?

Oh, looks like it actually is available but I was just asking for the wrong name. I thought it's just not available at all because all barkeepers gave me weird looks when I asked for a Radler. Maybe next time I'll get one when I ask for a Shandy. I actually haven't mixed beer with ginger ale yet but that sounds like it would taste great too. What would you say is a good ratio when mixing beer with ginger ale?
Yep, seems like you've just been asking for the wrong name :P

Erm, not sure about the ratio for ginger ale as I don't really like it myself, but I would assume its the same as with lemonade? Although mixing your own ratio will probably work out best since you might like more beer to less ginger ale, or the other way around

Last weekend, I tried a couple of radlers in Germany: a weizen beer/cola radler with lemongrass; and a grapefruit/weizen radler. The grapefruit one was OK, but was a bit sweet. I think it probably best to stick with the tried and tested lemonade version.

Back
Top Bottom