Exasperated with creme fraiche

Skip70

Local time
2:48 AM
For years, I have made creme frache successfully -- until I don.t. Sometimes it is perfect -- thick and creamy, other times it never firms up and even turns rancid. Yes, I've tried pasteurized cream (instead of ultra-pasterized) and use the only buttermilk I can find in the store, which claims to be cultured buttermilk. Even sometimes using the same two ingredients, I will get different results. I have left it out on the counter at room temperature (e.g. 70F) for 12-24 hours, sometimes even longer. Ratios, as I see everywhere, are not critical to anything other than taste, but I generally use 1-2 tbs/cup of cream.

I have no idea why I'm getting such inconsistent results. Any ideas?

I've never tried to make it so sorry, I've no idea. Interesting information though.

I’ve made creme fraiche several times, but I’ve never experienced what you’re going through. It’s always come out fine. Sorry. 🤷‍♂️

Just out of curiosity, I looked up crème fraîche on a French website. The recipe started off with "Take 2 litres of unpasteurised milk....", so I gave up on that one immediately:D
Then I found a Spanish version which had two ingredients:
  • 2 tbsps unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • ¼ litre (1/2 pint) high fat buttermilk
Mix together until the result is completely homogenous, then cover and leave at room temperature overnight, or up to 20 hours.
Does that help? Have to admit, I've never made it myself.

Back
Top Bottom