"Exotic" foods

dandeliion

Veteran
Local time
1:12 PM
What are the most "exotic" things you've eaten? I haven't ventured out a whole lot but love to travel and learn about other cultures (especially what they eat!). I recently went to Colorado and had a buffalo burger for the first time; it was delicious. I've also tried fried crickets.. surprisingly they tasted just like puffed cereal :wink:

Crickets would be it for me too, in Mexico. I thought they tasted nutty. Good, though.

Maybe uni? Sea urchin. It's not super exotic I guess, since any sushi joint will have it.

The most exotic thing I've eaten was calamari and that was purely by accident. We order a buffet from a Chinese restaurant. The calamari was mixed in with sweet and sour chicken. I knew it was different because it was very rubbery. Yuck! I didn't even swallow it.

I haven't eaten any exotic foods before mainly because I am very picky about what I eat. If it's something I think is disgusting, I won't eat it. They would have to give it to me without telling me what it is.

I believe that China, India, and other Asian countries are places with a large list of exotic foods and dishes. I have not tried any of them though.

However I believe the most exotic food I have eaten is something called "huitlacoche" which is an edible corn fungus considered a food delicacy, ingredient of some regional Mexican cuisine dishes. And I must say is really tasty fried with chopped onions in stuffed quesadillas.

I didn't know that there was a fungus out there that could be eaten. I guess there is always something new to learn everyday.

Back
Top Bottom