Extra virgin olive oil? You're oliving a lie!

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
9:09 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
A study from 2010 reports that 70% of oils sold in the US as extra virgin olive oil doesn't meet USDA standards (or other the standards of many other countries). The study was done in collaboration between The U-C Davis Olive Oil Chemistry Laboratory and the Australian Oils Research Laboratory. There are ways to test the oil you've purchased to determine if it's what it claims to be, but unfortunately no way to test it before you buy. I honestly wouldn't know just from looking at the label.

The executive summary from the article linked above is as follows:

Our laboratory tests found that samples of imported olive oil labeled as “extra virgin” and sold at retail locations in California often did not meet international and US standards. Sensory tests showed that these failed samples had defective flavors such as rancid, fusty, and musty. Negative sensory results were confirmed by chemical data in 86 percent of the cases. Our chemical testing indicated that the samples failed extra virgin standards for reasons that include one or more of the following:
  • oxidation by exposure to elevated temperatures, light, and/or aging;
  • adulteration with cheaper refined olive oil;
  • poor quality oil made from damaged and overripe olives, processing flaws, and/or improper oil storage.

This is an old story. About 2 years ago, there was a story about Olive oils coming out of Italy that were adulterated and low quality.

A study from 2010 reports that 70% of oils sold in the US as extra virgin olive oil doesn't meet USDA standards (or other the standards of many other countries). The study was done in collaboration between The U-C Davis Olive Oil Chemistry Laboratory and the Australian Oils Research Laboratory. There are ways to test the oil you've purchased to determine if it's what it claims to be, but unfortunately no way to test it before you buy. I honestly wouldn't know just from looking at the label.

Our laboratory tests found that samples of imported olive oil labeled as “extra virgin” and sold at retail locations in California often did not meet international and US standards. Sensory tests showed that these failed samples had defective flavors such as rancid, fusty, and musty. Negative sensory results were confirmed by chemical data in 86 percent of the cases. Our chemical testing indicated that the samples failed extra virgin standards for reasons that include one or more of the following:
  • poor quality oil made from damaged and overripe olives, processing flaws, and/or improper oil storage.

Does Australia produce olive oil and how much of a grant did UC Davis get for this "study" from the California olive industry?:scratchhead:I find that many of these "studies" are bought and paid for by US based industries that compete with imported products. I doubt that any DOP supported oils were in this "study" and did they do any "testing" on domestic oils? Hey, USDA I want prosciutto that is exactly the same as the standard processing done in Italy. The Italians have been using the same curing process for hundreds of years. Do you see them having health issues from eating prosciutto cured for less time than you require?:headshake:

If you are unsure if it's extra virgin olive oil, you should check it's maximum acidity in the label. If it's igual or below 0.8%, its an extra virgin olive oil. If its between 2% and 0.8% its a virgin olive oil.
Though, if they are adulterating the values of the label, then one cannot do much about it

If you are unsure if it's extra virgin olive oil, you should check it's maximum acidity in the label. If it's igual or below 0.8%, its an extra virgin olive oil. If its between 2% and 0.8% its a virgin olive oil.
Though, if they are adulterating the values of the label, then one cannot do much about it

I remember learning this a few years ago when I had access to a couple of Portuguese shops in East London. I had forgotten the details as I now have to rely on supermarkets. It made such a difference. I need to set out a new source, or stock up when I visit London.

I really wouldn't be able to tell the difference between bog standard olive oil and extra virgin olive oil so we use whatever is available. At present we are using this:

bertollioo s.jpg

Does Australia produce olive oil
Yes and I'm living in an area that grows a lot of olives and produces a lot of olive oil. And the latest packaging fad/craze whatever you want to call it, is on the far left. no exposure to light or air even when open. All are local olive oils. (local as in within a 2 hour drive of here that is... Well that's local for a state larger than Texas)

DSC_3087.JPG

This article sounds very factious, don't you think?

if anyone is actually concerned, you should download the report and read it.
note there are multiple reports, some versions are abbreviated/condensed

the full report is available here:
https://olivecenter.ucdavis.edu/media/files/report041211finalreduced.pdf
(some browser pdf readers may fail online; you may have to download the file to read it all.)

the report details the brands tested by multiple difference "agencies" and two sensory panels.
where the samples were purchased, the use by dates, etc. all the underlying data.

what it basically indicates is the chemical tests, specified by IOC, California, Germany and Australia, don't agree
- on what to test,
- how to test it,
- or what an acceptable result is.

reading further, one learns that the "popular brands" the headline hyperbolist seeks to smear pass the chemical tests - by some agencies - but fail the sensory test.

this simply indicates the "experts" actually don't know what they are doing/talking about - they can't measure or define what kinds of testing is accurate or reliable.

curiously, sources with the long(est) supply chain - i.e. European brands - were pointedly identified as being "oxidized" in sensory taste tests - "freshness" may be an undocumented issue.

and ten years ago they made recommendations for further research - which has not happened - so that's how important the topic is considered.....by the researchers.....

Back
Top Bottom