JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
2:10 PM
[Mod.Edit: first few posts moved to form a new thread. (MG)]

Bring on the faggots! I love them.
Is this accurate?

From Wikipedia:
"Faggots are meatballs made from minced off-cuts and offal, especially pork (traditionally pig's heart, liver, and fatty belly meat or bacon) together with herbs for flavouring and sometimes added bread crumbs.[1] It is a traditional dish in the United Kingdom,[2][3] especially South and Mid Wales and the English Midlands.[1][4][5]

Commonly, a faggot consists of minced pork liver and heart, wrapped in bacon, with onion and breadcrumbs. Often, the faggot is cooked in a crock with gravy and served with peas and mashed potato. The mixture is shaped by hand into small balls, wrapped with caul fat (the omentum membrane from the pig's abdomen), and baked. Faggots may also be made with beef."

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this accurate?

From Wikipedia:
"Faggots are meatballs made from minced off-cuts and offal, especially pork (traditionally pig's heart, liver, and fatty belly meat or bacon) together with herbs for flavouring and sometimes added bread crumbs.[1] It is a traditional dish in the United Kingdom,[2][3] especially South and Mid Wales and the English Midlands.[1][4][5]

Commonly, a faggot consists of minced pork liver and heart, wrapped in bacon, with onion and breadcrumbs. Often, the faggot is cooked in a crock with gravy and served with peas and mashed potato. The mixture is shaped by hand into small balls, wrapped with caul fat (the omentum membrane from the pig's abdomen), and baked. Faggots may also be made with beef."

Sounds about right. They recipe will vary enormously according to which butcher makes them. There is a brand of frozen faggots for sale here which are nowhere near as good as those from a butcher - I'm not sure what they contain but will check.

Faggots have fallen out of fashion in the UK and certainly where I live, I'd be hard pushed to find a butcher that made them.

Brain's Faggots:

Ingredients
West Country Sauce (62%) contains: Water, Lard, Wheat Flour, Modified Cornflour, Tomato Puree, Salt, Colour: Caramel (E150c), Yeast Extract, Sugar, Onion Flavour, Spice and Herbs Extracts (Celery), Pork Faggots (38%) contains: Water, Rusk (Wheat), Rehydrated Pork Rind, Pork Liver (15%), Onion, Pork (4%), Wheat Flour, Salt, Sage, Spice Extracts

So not much sign of offal except for liver.

I mentioned earlier about watching Upstairs, Downstairs, and Mrs. Bridges (the cook) complaining that rationing during WW1 left her in the sad state of having to make rissoles.

The very next episode, she's shown putting a plate of some formed patties on the servants' table, and Mr. Hudson (the butler) exclaims with dread, "Oh, Mrs. Bridges, surely not faggots!"

"Certainly not, Mr. Hudson! <pauses> They're rissoles!" :laugh:

[Mod.Edit: first few posts moved to form a new thread. (MG)]

Is this accurate?

From Wikipedia:

Pretty accurate, apart from the “wrapped in bacon” bit - I’ve never encountered that. Wrapping in bacon would add unnecessary expense to what was essentially a low cost dish, and it wouldn’t react well to cooking in gravy. Similar in concept to the Scottish haggis which is made from lamb offal. Most decent butchers in my area still make them. I feel another thread coming on - “Peasant food” doesn’t sound acceptable, but there are some fantastic dishes created to feed low paid workers in industrial Britain, faggots being one of them, Cornish pasties being another. I’m sure the same is true in other nations,

Back
Top Bottom