Failed @ Baking Cinnamon Rolls

alm0493

Veteran
Local time
3:27 AM
I was so excited to bake some homemade cinnamon rolls to eat during this cold and cloudy weather but when I went to take them out... I could just tell that something wasn't right with them. It seemed as if they didn't brown at all, just the bottoms were starting to blacken though. :(
I have been trying to figure where I went wrong. I couldn't find a teaspoon so I just kinda guesstimated what 4 teaspoons of baking powder would be. Would putting too much or too little of baking powder cause the issues I described?

THANKS.

I have never made cinnamon rolls without yeast before. Often you need both baking powder and baking soda in a yeastless bread, usually more powder than soda. Maybe double check your recipe. An easy way to make cinnamon rolls that I have done is to take a basic white bread recipe and instead of shaping it into a loaf, role it out and make cinnamon roles. You just have to let the cut roles rise a bit on the tray like you would dough in a loaf pan and then bake till done. Use your oven light to check when they are brown and ready to come out, as it will vary based on size and recipe.

Burning at the bottom (assuming in contact with a metal baking tray) and not going brown on top sounds more like the oven was at the wrong temperature to me. Too hot is the most likely cause, it could also be that the oven does not heat things evenly, or is only heating from below.

You may have a faulty oven or just converted the temperature incorrectly (making a huge assumption here but it is the one thing my oh is always asking me... What is gas mark x in Celsius and adapted to our oven?)

I think the oven was too hot, but I am not sure why the tops would not brown. My suggestion would be to bake something simple and see if there is something wrong with your oven. Chocolate chip cookies would be a good test food. You bake them at 350 degrees for 10 minutes and they should turn out perfect. If those come out burnt or not done enough, you will know it is your oven. If they come out perfect, then my guess is that the cinnamon roll bake temperature was set to high.

Back
Top Bottom