Family Favorite Recipes... or Brand New?

Kate

Veteran
Local time
6:36 PM
Do you prefer cooking tried and true family favorite recipes handed down through the generations? Or do you prefer finding your own signature recipes?

I'm about 50% on this one... I have my stack of *incredibly delicious* recipes my mom used... and my grandmother used, but I also have a cookbook collection I like using... and then there's the Internet. Oh my, the possibilities are endless when it comes to finding awesome new recipes on the Internet!

What percentage of your cooking is brand new recipes to try?

I'd say it's around 10% of new stuff. I too have handed down recipes, and stuff I've evolved over the years. I don't think it's a good idea to introduce too many new dishes at a time for two reasons - the palate may get a bit confused with all the new flavours, and if a new ingredient disagrees with you, it's easier to isolate it if you haven't introduced too many new things recently.

I'm 50/50 when it comes to recipes. I use the handed down recipes, but I also like to find new ines to try out and there are so many to choose from. I also look for different takes on some of my traditional recipes as well. I am always the lookout for something to cook because I love cooking whenever I can.

I spent many years collecting family recipes and favorite recipes from many sources, using to cook them indistinctly unless it was a special holiday at which I used to prepare a family recipe as main dish, or the whole meal.

Overtime my famous recipe box is gone, not because lost or something, but because now I like to improvise cooking. With the knowledge you gain through the time it's easy prepare food sort of the way witches cook their magic potions adding this and that to their cauldrons.

I really enjoy doing this, but still have some favorite family recipes for very special occasions.

Back
Top Bottom