Fancy grilled cheeses

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
4:29 PM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
I love a good old grilled cheese sandwich - to me it's just one of those comfort foods that you can't really go wrong with.

When I was younger, I would always have them just plain - cheese, bread, butter - but as an adult I like to "fancy" up my grilled cheeses. Lately my go to has been pesto and cheese (such a good combo!) but I was wondering if any of you enjoy fancying up a grilled cheese with extra additions - and if so, what do you add?

Can't wait for some inspiration!

I like to have ham on my grilled cheese. It is so good! You have to be careful when you bit into it though because the cheese and the ham together get really hot.
I also like experimenting with different kinds of cheese and using a combination a 2-3! I enjoy a nice grilled cheese sandwich with a bowl of soup.

I used to be an addict but I try often without success to stay away from both bread and cheese. I could honestly eat them everyday but neither are great for my health. In recent years I might get a headache from the cheese and too many pounds from the bread. Having said that I can have cheese added to turkey ham, pork ham, chicken, hot dogs or just lettuce with onions and tomatoes to make a grilled sandwich. I am very open in this department.

I sometimes make cheese on egg on ham on toast'. The art is in frying the egg to 'just right' before placing on the ham and covering in cheese - so that when it 'grills' (broils in US) the egg is still delightfully runny with a coating of molten cheese.

I sometimes make cheese on egg on ham on toast'. The art is in frying the egg to 'just right' before placing on the ham and covering in cheese - so that when it 'grills' (broils in US) the egg is still delightfully runny with a coating of molten cheese.

I forgot to mention eggs in this process. Delightful!!

For me there were a couple (when I could have dairy that is). A straight cheese and onion toasted cheese sandwich was heaven. If we were feeling frivolous then cheese and red onion toasted cheese sandwich. The trick being too butter the outside of the bread before putting it into the sandwich toaster.

Another, but not toasted, was a simple cheese and pesto sandwich which we would have even on Christmas day for Christmas lunch. We always used to go hiking or mountaineering on Christmas day so sandwiches and Christmas cake were the order of the day (plus a mug of hot black coffee).

For those that like a bit of zing to these things, an Indian relish can work very nicely on toasted cheese. I'm partial to a bit of garlic pickle and lime pickle goes quite nicely. too.

I haven't tried this, but I have seen people on TV making grilled cheese with marmaalde or chutney.aka Indian relish. I do sometimes put things in my grilled cheese...but usually just something like tomato slices or bacon, maybe a thin sliced ham. Pesto with grilled cheese sounds interesting too.

We had a grilled cheese sandwich at a restaurant that was the best I have ever tasted. It was made on Texas toast with 3 cheeses, mozzarrella was one of the three cheese, I think the other two would have been cheddar and provolone.

I like to have ham on my grilled cheese. It is so good! You have to be careful when you bit into it though because the cheese and the ham together get really hot.
I also like experimenting with different kinds of cheese and using a combination a 2-3! I enjoy a nice grilled cheese sandwich with a bowl of soup.

Oh man, I've had my mouth burned by many a grilled cheese in my time - all because I've been too eager to eat them...you'd think I would learn!!

Ham and cheese is an excellent combination!

Reactions: L_B
I love fancy grilled cheeses! They're so delicious. I just had one last week that had tomatoes, lettuce, and bacon on it. And so good on Texas toast. Yummy!

I love fancy grilled cheeses! They're so delicious. I just had one last week that had tomatoes, lettuce, and bacon on it. And so good on Texas toast. Yummy!
Wow that does sound really good. I never would have thoight of doing that on a grilled cheese. My favorite sandwich is a BLT so the only thing that would be better is a grilled cheese BLT. Yum.

My dad used to make open-faced grilled cheese. He topped a slice of bread (preferably rye) with cheddar cheese, bacon, and a slice of tomato. Pop it in the broiler.

My mom used to make swiss on rye grilled cheese, or colby on bakery bread sometimes. Real butter, of course.

I like any kind of cheese and most types of bread, so any of these would work for me. My favorite though is a grilled turkey melt. Rye bread (again... love it), topped with turkey and cheese and grilled like a typical grill cheese. Then, add a dollop or thousand island dressing before eating. Fattening, yes, but also quite delicious.

Back
Top Bottom