Fat or Lard?

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
10:28 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I was creating some tags for some of the threads in the fats and oils forum and realised that I'm not certain I know the distinction between a fat and a lard.

Is it simply that one can be of vegetable or animal origins (fat) and the other only ever of animal origin (lard)?

I was creating some tags for some of the threads in the fats and oils forum and realised that I'm not certain I know the distinction between a fat and a lard.

Is it simply that one can be of vegetable or animal origins (fat) and the other only ever of animal origin (lard)?

Animal fat & tropical oils are high in bad cholesterol. Especially lard. But lard is said to help make good flakey biscuits.

Shortening also makes good biscuits, but it has transfats which are bad for you. :headshake::stop:

Fat is a general term that's compared to things like butter and oil. It's such a broad term that is used. Lard is actual rendered animal fat.

Fat is a general term that's compared to things like butter and oil. It's such a broad term that is used. Lard is actual rendered animal fat.
Without doing any research I tend to agree with this and I know for sure that what Classic provided is quite true. I will still research this further.

That is so true.

Butter is also bad. But when used or eaten in moderation, it isn't all that bad for you. The golden rule here on all animal fats and other bad things is; Moderation is key. :wink:

That is so true.

Butter is also bad. But when used or eaten in moderation, it isn't all that bad for you. The golden rule here on all animal fats and other bad things is; Moderation is key. :wink:
So so true !! Burgers - booze - red meat - cream - even vegetables are all fine occasionally. One meal of fish and chips done in beef dripping isn't going to kill you and neither will the odd beer - glass of wine - or shot of spirit. As for lard vs fat the definition in most cases is a bit vague in most people's eyes but real beef dripping - now that is something else.

I'm also ignorant of what a fat and a lard is. Now I had read suet, it is another thing that I do not know. For cooking, what I only know is cooking oil, whether it is vegetable oil or not, I really don't care as long as I buy a branded bottle that is used by many. By the way, we do not reuse cooking oil that is leftover from frying meat or fish. The only leftover cooking oil we recycle is that used in frying potatoes. It looks clean enough to be reused unlike those used in frying meat which has the smell of the meat already.

When I was a kid we used to get Lardy Cake from the bakers. It was a rather heavy and satisfying dough based cake with raisins. I asked my partner who is from the North East of UK, whether he used to have it but he just looked puzzled. Having googled it, it seems it was a South of England thing (which is where I was brought up). Here's a picture:

lardy cake.jpg

It was also called 'fourses'
The origins of Lardy Cake are in the countryside, where it was traditionally eaten as a mid-afternoon snack by the workers in the fields. Known as 'fourses', this snack time was the afternoon equivalent of the morning's 'elevenses'. The calorie-heavy sweet dough, accompanied by a cool bottle of ale, was just the thing to keep energy levels up during the long days of harvest.
http://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/lardy-cake

Back
Top Bottom