Favorite way to cook macaroni and cheese

firelily99

Veteran
Local time
2:30 AM
Do you make your mac and cheese from scratch? Why do you think the way you make it is so outstanding? Do you have a recipe to share so that we can be the judge of it?

Last edited:
I don't cook it that much, but the few times I did make it, I put in a lot of extra bacon and toasted breadcrumbs to add on the basic recipe. I added a good amount of bacon, though, to the point that it might as well have been called mac and cheese and bacon, because I personally find MnC in itself to be a bit too bland.

I always make it from scratch. I don't really have a recipe either, although I do make a few different variations.

My boyfriend really likes baked macaroni, so I do a basic version of that. I'm pretty sure he could eat that every week, but that would bore the crap out of me and I would get burned out, so when he really wants it again anyway, I'll make a change. Like I do a buffalo chicken version that includes chicken marinated in hot wing sauce, bacon, and a little more hot sauce in the cheese.

I love cooking Bake Macaroni especially for my family and this is one of our favorite dish. Yes I do made it from scratch and usually I do not put bacon as topping because it is too oily. For my toppings I put fried chicken bits, sliced mushroom in can, chopped red bell pepper, quick melt cheese and all purpose cream which makes it more tastier when it is after it is done baking.

Yes I do made it from scratch and usually I do not put bacon as topping because it is too oily

Cook the bacon first and then mix it into the macaroni instead. This will eliminate the bulk of the oil right off the bat and then any more that comes off of the bacon will cook into the sauce. If you're concerned about calories, cut down on the butter that you put in the sauce.

My family is southern, so baked macaroni is pretty much what I grew up with. I keep it simple, though I will occasionally experiment with the cheeses I use.

My friend made a white truffle mac and cheese last Thanksgiving and I need to get that recipe from her because that is the absolute best mac and cheese I've ever had, next to my grandmother's and my mom's. Obviously it had white truffle oil in it, it was topped with breadcrumbs, but I don't know all of the intricacies. We literally devoured that dish.

The college dormer way: microwave pre-boiled and strained macaroni, with pre-mixed grated quick-melt cheese with milk and butter (maybe with sliced bell peppers).

This macaroni and fondue cheese recipe sounds really good, but I think it comes in too many complicated stages! It requires a medium-sized saucepan for the cheese, a large saucepan for the macaroni, and a baking dish to bring them all together in an oven anyway.

My hubby and I don't eat Mac n cheese but my kids love it. Out of all the homemade recipes I've made to the store bought kind, my kids will now only eat the Banquet frozen Mac n cheese dinners. They said nothing compares.

I personally like the recipe my brothers girlfriend makes but I never eat more than a spoonful. I'm just not a Mac n cheese kinda gal.

If I have time, I will make it from scratch, or I will use a box of Velveeta macaroni. I will do the same to it that I do from scratch. I will add diced ham, broccoli, and we love sundried tomatoes in it with spinach.

When I make homemade macaroni and cheese, I have two recipes that I alternate between. The first one being a baked recipe from The Pioneer Woman. My husband absolutely adores this one. Another recipe is one I found on Pinterest that is made with evaporated milk and cheddar cheese soup PLUS the grated stuff. It is cheesy and gooey and probably my favorite. I don't make it often because it is so fattening but its fun for a calorie splurge every once in awhile.

I alternate between homemade mac and cheese and making it from the box. If I am just making it for myself I will make it from the box, it's quick and easy and while not very good for me it's definitely not as bad as the homemade versions because it doesn't have as much butter and cheese. If I am making the mac and cheese as a part of dinner I like to make it baked. My recipe involves cooking the macaroni and mixing all of the cheeses (usually at least 4) in with it then putting it in a casserole dish and baking. It's really good but also so rich that we almost always have left overs. Sometimes if I want to lighten it up so it isn't so dense I will add some tomatoes, broccoli or red peppers.

Back
Top Bottom