Favourite Caribbean breakfast

mackie

Veteran
Local time
8:36 AM
I love some Ackee and saltfish that's my absolute favourite. However, I Also do like Calaloo and sausage or saltfish. These breakfast options are typical in any Jamaica household and restaurants that may serve breakfast. Any of these can be served with a variety of sides, such as, bread, dumplings, johnny cakes, yam, sweet potato and almost anything else that you may prefer.

My favourite breakfast is saltfish without the ackee and hard dough bread, this kind of food gives you a good start to the day:)

Who cares what you are eating as long as you are in the caribbean! :)

I've never had real Caribbean food so I must definitely give it a try! The closest I got to the region was Costa Rica (not exactly Caribbean but not too far either). I remember the Costa Ricans like eating pan-fried green plantains which they then flatten with a plate to make almost potato chip-like fried bits. They're delicious with a cilantro or coriander salsa.

My favourite caribbean breakfast items would have to be without a doubt salt fish and bake. I am from Guyana and this is a typical Guyanese staple dish! It is absolutely amazing. The bake is almost like a roti just more fluffy inside with a light crispy feel on the outside. However the main difference is that it is fried! I visited Guyana just in December and this was my favourite breakfast! I live in Canada now and having it here makes me reminisce on the great memories I have of back home. Thanks for this great post!

I actually just got back from Jamaica but my host family didn't make any of those ;( I wasn't too disappointed though because we had a ton of fresh fruit every morning... mangoes, star apple, jamaican apple, melons, YUM!

It'just hard to choose a favorite as there's just so much to choose from; salt-mackerel/calaloo with some fingers of boil banana,escovitch fish with a few slices of bammy, ackee and salt-fish with slices of roast breadfruit. I could go on and on; i think Caribbean food is simply the best.

Back
Top Bottom