Serves 2, Preparation time 5 mins, Cooking time 20 mins

• 2 fresh fennels
  • 2 tablespoons powder turmeric
  • 40 g. grated Pecorino cheese
  • Extra Virgin olive oil (Evoo) to taste
  • a pinch of ground black pepper
  • a pinch of salt (optional)

Method

Wash the fennel well and dry it with a kitchen towel. Cut the green part with the stems and the leaves (leaves are excellent to garnish or even into a salad, whilst the stems are good for a fish dish).

Cut and throw the hard white part of the bottom and go on to cut fennel into slices or pieces.

In a bowl add the grated Pecorino cheese with turmeric powder and a sprinkling of ground black pepper.

Heat water in a saucepan and as soon as it is warm (no need to bubble), dip your fennel pieces for about 5 minutes or at least until they are well softened.

Of course you can also do this step by steam.

Drain them and start to form a first layer of fennel in a baking tray adding the grated pecorino cheese and turmeric powder mix and add a drop of Evoo.

I have not added salt because Pecorino already has its own, but go ahead according to your taste.

Place them evenly and continue with the others adding the mix also on the last layer, which once in the oven, will get au gratin. Add some fennel leaves and bake at 180 degrees for about 10 minutes. Serve.

Baked-fennel.jpg

Many congratulations @MypinchofItaly - that recipe was spectacular.

You are a deserving winner - and maybe you've also raised awareness of pecorino (one of my favourite cheeses)

We should be expecting a bumper crop of entries for this round of the Recipe Challenge. Pasta is something we can all cook and its quick, easy and economical. Anyone who fails to enter will need a watertight excuse. :D

The reason I may not enter is that I'm bored with pasta. But...that is a challenge in itself, is it not? And you all know that I will enter something...

I'm going to have a problem editing myself. I was looking back through my photos and there are SO MANY pasta dishes we make and love.

Back
Top Bottom