Fennel. What's Your Pleasure?

CraigC

Guru
Local time
11:07 PM
I think fennel is an under used vegetable. I really love it sliced and roasted. I'm planning on using some in a marinara sauce and see how it turns out. I've had it thinly sliced in a salad. Anyone like it as a pizza topping? I love using the seeds in my mild Italian sausage!

Love fennel. Nice thinly sliced with orange for a salad. I also roasted it with or without potatoes then roast a piece of cod on the top at the end.

I'll be interested to hear what others do with it too as I agree, it is under used.

I have had thinly sliced Fennel in a salad. YUMM. I have used fennel frond and Fennel seed in cooking. Love Italian sausage with lots of Fennel seed.
I used fennel frond and seeds in a tomato pizza sauce once. It was an Italian Sausage pizza. I also used added fronds to the top of the pizza as soon as it came out of the oven.
Roasted Fennel root is on my bucket list.

I rarely ever use it, except as an addition to a salad. I like it just fine, but it's not a "star" vegetable to me, more of a supporting one.

We mostly use it for making fennel gratin. Thinly sliced, and layered with grated garlic in a roasting dish, topped up with cream, covered and roasted in the oven. Goes really well with pork.

Confit fennel is really lovely. I make a cauliflower & fennel piccalilli which is great with cheese. I also use fennel & apple as a base under roasted pork belly which I then make gravy out of.
Fennel is also really good in dessert, fennel caramel is gorgeous

I’m a big fan of fennel and I cook/eat it often. Raw just thinly sliced and seasoned only with oil, salt and pepper, or in sicilian salad (with orange and black olives as well), steamed, au gratin, into a risotto or just eat it raw as a snack, I love it whatever it is. I also used quite often fennel seeds, I add them sometimes in bread dough.
I have several herbal teas fennel- flavoured as well

I've never used it except for fennel seeds which I use for homemade Chicago-style deep dish pizza. I was born and raised in Chicago but lived in North Carolina for about seven years. It's impossible to get authentic deep dish pizza there so I had to learn how to make it after failing at getting my favorite restaurant to FedEx me some.

Your post makes me want to find it and try it.

Back
Top Bottom