Figs

SatNavSaysStraightOn

A Reforming Perfectionist
Staff member
Local time
1:55 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I picked a few figs this morning . I'm getting about the same quantity every day from the 2 trees and that's only what the birds don't eat and what I can actually reach without steps or ladders. The birds take about 2/3rds of the daily supply .

I need ideas and also ways of preserving them. Had anyone tried freezing them as is? My lemons are that way at present, as are my eggs but can I freeze figs at all?

DSC_3925.JPG

Herbie

Local time
2:55 PM
How about a rum pot? My aunt used to have one on the go all summer to preserve the summers crop of soft fruit.

MrsDangermouse

Veteran
Local time
How fabulous - what a lovely crop!

I think you probably can freeze them - though like a lot of fruit they're likely to lose a bit of texture when they're defrosted. A quick Google throws up a couple of websites (like this one) which say they've done it successfully.

Drying figs is also a good way to preserve them.

morning glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
I've made a spicy fig pickle in the past... no recipe I'm afraid but I'm sure you could improvise one. And obviously fig jam could be made.

Karen W

Local time
6:55 AM
I was just going to mention fig Jam. There's an easy recipe at Food & Wine, that will last in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
Website
Well I think we'll try fig jam or fig preserve (?) first. I can't imagine they'll need much sugar but I have no idea on pectin and citric acid I have both in powder form and strangely in the freezer in the form of lemons . Mind you that said, I've got loads still on the lemon tree.

I did wonder about a fig molasses. They'll are dripping a sticky sweet liquid all over the counter at the moment !

morning glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
Well I think we'll try fig jam or fig preserve (?) first. I can't imagine they'll need much sugar but I have no idea on pectin and citric acid I have both in powder form and strangely in the freezer in the form of lemons . Mind you that said, I've got loads still on the lemon tree.

I did wonder about a fig molasses. They'll are dripping a sticky sweet liquid all over the counter at the moment !
I don't think figs contain high pectin. I love the idea of fig molasses. Not sure how to do that.

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
Website
I love the idea of fig molasses. Not sure how to do that.
My best guess was to chop them up , warm them up gently, strain overnight catching liquid, then reduce. I'd probably squash the remaining pulp to get as much or as possible unless it went cloudy . I'd like to keep the clarity to the molasses .

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
Website
Looking it up and it does exist. Seems water is involved but nothing else other than over ripe figs . Well I can do those but not directly off the tree because the birds eat them . I'll pick a couple of kilos each morning for a few days and do some experiments at the weekend. The ones I have are softening nicely .should be ready tomorrow ,but they'll have to wait until Saturday. The biggest question is do I skin them first by scooping out the flesh?.

I've also found a fig syrup as well as fig molasses and this interesting recipe for grilled figs tossed in balsamic vinegar and olive oil, coated in pomegranate molasses ! I have all of those ingredients.

Herbie

Local time
Rum Pot (or Rumtopf) is really easy to make.

Take a large jar with a tight lid and sterilise it. Add sugar to the bottom and the add a layer of fruit. Cover the fruit with rum.
Every time you get some more fruit add sugar, the fruit and cover with rum again.
Store in a cool dark place.

After the last of the fruit is added leave for a couple of months.

My aunt used to do this during the summer for boozy puddings at Christmas time (Served with cake or ice-cream etc.). I think it would make a nice winter trifle.

I just remembered she used to crystalise pansies and rose petals to decorate her pudding with.

morning glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
My aunt used to do this during the summer for boozy puddings at Christmas time (Served with cake or ice-cream etc.). I think it would make a nice winter trifle.

I just remembered she used to crystalise pansies and rose petals to decorate her pudding with.
Sounds lovely.

medtran49

Über Member
Local time
9:55 AM
I'll have to get the book out but 1 of the quirky pizzas we make uses fig jam. I'm pretty sure it has some acid and added sugar of some kind in it. I do know you can freeze the jam because that's what I do with it rather than can it.

Top Bottom