Figs

Dianemwj

Veteran
Local time
12:46 PM
My nearly 93-year-old father (his birthday is July 2) has a fig tree in his backyard. Every year he brings over bags and bags of figs. Sometimes if I'm sleeping when he comes over and JJ (my husband) is at work, my Dad will leave a bag of 60 (he counts them) hanging from my front doorknob.

I still have figs in the freezer from last year. We have even used a dehydrator (which my Dad gifted us) to dry out the figs to make more room in the freezer. I sometimes take them to work and give them away to the substiute wine runner who is from Yemen and he loves them. I have made fig and apple compote (very good over vanilla ice cream), put figs instead of dates into date nut bread, fig and lemon chicken and a salad with mixed greens, dried figs, smoked gouda and ham with a smoked paprika dressing.

So now it's fig season again and my Dad has already called to tell(warn) me that his figs are almost ready to pick and do I want any. I can't refuse, he delights in bringing them over. So does anyone have any ideas for what I can do with figs besides what I mentioned above? I'm desperate for any and all suggestions.

Just post me some (I expect there are custom laws which prevent this :(). The figs here are not very good on the whole. We don't have the climate. Consequently, I'm short on ideas about how to use figs. But 'we all like figgy pudding', as the song goes...

Just post me some (I expect there are custom laws which prevent this :(). The figs here are not very good on the whole. We don't have the climate. Consequently, I'm short on ideas about how to use figs. But 'we all like figgy pudding', as the song goes...
I'll just wrap them up between pieces of cardboard and tell the post office they're books. I sent my friend food; candy, yeast (don't ask) and jars of sauces from Trader Joe's and they got there safely. I don't know about fresh figs though, they may attract fruit flies. Maybe I could send you some dried ones.

The figgy pudding actually looks pretty good. I'd have to get out my conversion chart from grams to ounces, but I've done that before with all the British cookbooks I own. I even know what muscavado sugar is and what to use as a substitute. I don't think it would last a year though, my husband likes to eat, and he's fond of sticky toffee pudding and this doesn't look to be much different.

If you want to preserve some may be make a chutney ,I like them stuffed with Roquefort or mozeralla and wrapped in sliced air dried ham and then bake them ,turn them into a compote and freeze you can then use them in sweets like a bake well tart
Or they are the best with smoked meats

Back
Top Bottom