File sizes again

Burt Blank

Legendary Member
Local time
6:59 AM
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a technophobe mate so I don't know how. It must be your system as I see other peoples pics of the same size instantly ?
I have been a Software Engineer and I have a very fast computer here. I understand that you may not know how to resize your photos. Not everybody does. It is done with software, there being free software available to do it.

Give me a bit of time and I will see if I can refer you to something. What Operating System do you use? MacOS or Windows?

Burt Blank

Windows 10 has a "Photos" application which should be accessible from the start menu. At the top right, if you press the 3 dots, you will see a resize option. It will allow 3 standard resizing options and one custom option.

I generally size my images for the web to from about 450Kb to 10Mb. I keep the original files without modification and resize a copy of the original and upload that to the web.

First make a copy of your image. Then resize the copy and save it. That way you don't mess with your original image. You can check its size by right-clicking the image, dragging down and clicking 'properties'.

If I am having problems loading your images, others might be and that may be causing you to loose people who skip over your posts. It's best to get those images to a size that retains their quality, but allows them to be loaded quickly. It will also increase the speed of loading the file to the web.

We are going off topic here but there is a puzzle - I regularly upload 4Mb files from my computer (no downsizing) and the forum reduces them automatically. For example I recently uploaded an eggs in the basket photo which was 4MB. The forum reduced it to 175 KB.

Burt Blank images are displaying here at 1.8MB so it looks like for some reason they aren't automatically reduced. I will repost one of them here to see what happens:

We are going off topic here but there is a puzzle - I regularly upload 4Mb files from my computer (no downsizing) and the forum reduces them automatically. For example I recently uploaded an eggs in the basket photo which was 4MB. The forum reduced it to 175 KB.

Burt Blank images are displaying here at 1.8MB so it looks like for some reason they aren't automatically reduced. I will repost one of them here to see what happens:

View attachment 52677

Morning Glory

Your repost loaded quickly and comfortably. I hope you can help out so that others can totally enjoy posts from Burt Blank.

But that is what is odd. The forum should automatically reduce file size as it has done in my repost. The above image was 1.8MB when I posted it from my computer! Why isn't the forum software reducing Burt Blank's files?

I dunno why. Also, I would think that 1.8MB would be fine as I have loaded files as large as 4Mb to web sites. But then, they may resize those images.

I note that he is uploaded PNG Image format, not JPEG. Does CookingBites resize PNGs?

This is displaying as 2.1MB. So I guess that this is the issue and that you will no doubt have trouble loading the above image. For me its instant but I do have a super fast connection.

Back
Top Bottom