Filtering water

FoodEnergetics

Local time
8:20 PM
Hi all,

Probably one of the most important things to consider, before we even get to discussing food, is the quality of water we consume - whether we drink it, cook with it, rinse food with it etc.

I'm sure the water quality we have access to will vary based on where you all live. For me (based in southern Spain) I tend to buy bottled water, which are usually in plastic bottles unfortunately. Of course, water in glass bottles is more expensive than plastic bottles, and I'm not too sure about the quality of the tap water I have access to here. Because of that, I'm looking for a water filter (not plastic Brita filters), and wondering if anyone else here filters their water in something similar to this: https://www.berkeyexpert.es/filtros-de-agua-berkey

I've looked through various reviews left by people who've bought these filters on the likes of Amazon, but wondering if anyone here has one and sees the benefits?

Last edited by a moderator:
My fridge is a good brand, it has filtered water, crushed ice or cubes. We drink all water from the fridge, we fill bottles up as well. My daughter fills her containers up here on a Saturday as where she lives they have fluorine. Their dog won't drink it. !!

Russ
image.jpg

I'm not too sure about the quality of the tap water I have access to here
The EU sets pretty stringent quality standards for drinking water, so unless there is a specific local issue where you are then the water from your tap is more than likely perfectly safe to drink. According to this article from the European Parliament, more than 98.5% of tests carried out on drinking water samples between 2011 and 2013, met EU standards :okay: So if you have concerns around your water quality then I'd recommend checking it out a bit more before spending a lot of money on a water purification system.

The only water purification system I know about is the Nature Pure system that some people fit to their motorhomes - a lot of motorhomers swear by it, though I've no personal experience (and have no idea whether you could fit it to a domestic system).

Whether your tap water tastes nice is another question entirely - seems to be luck of draw...some places have nice tasting water, others don't. If the water doesn't taste great then a Brita-type (other brands are available) filter is great way to improve that - you can get jug ones or in-line ones installed under the sink that have their own tap.

Thanks a lot for the replies. I do have a Brita filter, and should maybe try that again before investing. I probs do need to look into the water quality more too yeah for my specific region. I tend to drink tap water once it's been boiled (in coffee etc.) but for normal water consumption, right now I'm buying bottled water.. hmm..

We use a Brita filter jug instead of buying bottled water.
I fill a vacuum flask with cold filtered water and take it with me in the car instead of buying bottled water when I go to work.
It seems there is no difference in the taste between filtered and bottled.

I've been filling 2 water bottles from my filtered fridge and freeze overnight. I take to work to drink when it's been between 25 to 30 deg c here for a while. I'm driving a lot.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom