Finger Limes

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
12:55 PM
Finger Limes are an Australian citrus that has the appearance of elongate narrow limes, but that is where the resemblance stops.

murphyscreek might better share what these taste like. What I can tell is that they are often used with seafood, but may be applicable to other food as well. Perhaps, some other CB members may have tried them too.

I have found a source for finger limes, here in California and will try them soon. If I could get some idea what they taste like in advance and share with other CB members, that would be fine.

We had a tree once, but I let it die. Pretty much like a Persian lime. Maybe a tad sweeter. I think they are mostly used for the presentation since the little beads are quite pretty.

Finger Limes are an Australian citrus that has the appearance of elongate narrow limes, but that is where the resemblance stops.

murphyscreek might better share what these taste like. What I can tell is that they are often used with seafood, but may be applicable to other food as well. Perhaps, some other CB members may have tried them too.

I have found a source for finger limes, here in California and will try them soon. If I could get some idea what they taste like in advance and share with other CB members, that would be fine.

I love finger limes. They are quite unique in their taste and texture, and because of their appearance once you squeeze the little balls out of the outer skin covering they are sometimes referred to as "lime caviar". Whilst they look awesome, and different varieties are different coloured, I think they also taste fantastic as you bite in to them and each little ball kind of pops open (it's a weird but addictive sensation) in your mouth. Releasing a citrus flavour that's not too sharp, more of a fresh hint of mild lime.

I have a friend who grows them, not as a business, but just as an addition to her native plant backyard garden. I actually won a recipe challenge on here using them in a scallop dish. And I tend not to make desserts too often, but have used finger limes in home made icecream that to my palette was just about unbeatable.

Recipe & Video - Seared Scallops With Ginger, Garlic Butter and Finger Limes
What did you cook or eat today (April 2019)?
What did you cook or eat today (June 2020)?
What did you cook or eat today (April 2020)?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzKocom8vt0&t=6s

Last edited:
I love finger limes. They are quite unique in their taste and texture, and because of their appearance once you squeeze the little balls out of the outer skin covering they are sometimes referred to as "lime caviar". Whilst they look awesome, and different varieties are different coloured, I think they also taste fantastic as you bite in to them and each little ball kind of pops open (it's a weird but addictive sensation) in your mouth. Releasing a citrus flavour that's not too sharp, more of a fresh hint of mild lime.

I have a friend who grows them, not as a business, but just as an addition to her native plant backyard garden. I actually won a recipe challenge on here using them in a scallop dish. And I tend not to make desserts too often, but have used finger limes in home made icecream that to my palette was just about unbeatable.

Recipe & Video - Seared Scallops With Ginger, Garlic Butter and Finger Limes
What did you cook or eat today (April 2019)?
What did you cook or eat today (June 2020)?
What did you cook or eat today (April 2020)?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzKocom8vt0&t=6s
murphyscreek

Thanks for responding and describing your experience with finger limes. I will be getting some of these, for sure. I want to try them out and will be getting some seafood items to apply them to.

They are delicious - I used them in these dishes:

Recipe Beetroot, Burrata & Balsamic

Recipe - Beetroot & Liquorice Cured Gravadlax

I love finger limes. I tried to grow a plant when I first moved here, but it, as well as most of the rest of my citrus, died. I did get two fingers from it, before it gave up the ghost (yes, I brought it indoors for winter).

finger-lime-scallop2.jpg

I was able to serve the two I got with about four scallops, as a topping added after I lightly seared the scallops. The spheres in each will look anywhere from a pale pink to a light yellowish-green.

They have a delightful little crunch, almost like flying fish roe. They do taste reminiscent of lime, but not as astringent.

Aghh! I forgot to include the finger limes in the seafood order I made! Oh well, next time.

I did get one dozen Maryland blue softshell crabs, 2 abalone steaks, 1 lb. of huge King crab legs and 2 lbs. of Manila clams in the shell. Additionally, I have a Maine lobster tail and some large tiger prawns from the local grocer.

To be believed, I finally got around to trying my finger limes which were purchased back in May or early June. I needed to estimate the amount of finger lime caviar I will need for a recipe tomorrow.

For those wondering, after delivery, the finger limes kept well in the fridge for all that time and were not showing any signs of perishing. Also, for those who commented that the amount I got seemed far too much, I totally disagree. I think that it was far too little or at best, adequate.

The skins are said to be inedible, so don't do it.

To get at the caviar inside, I cut off the stem end and then gave that end a hard squeeze over a collecting bowl to get things started. Then I squeezed further up, rolling the finger lime between thumb and fingers to get the rest of the caviar to come out.

I figure that I'll need five or more finger limes tomorrow.

The flavor is indeed, tart sweet. I sampled about five of them straight up.

:):)

Back
Top Bottom