Fish pie ahoy!

Arch

Guru
Local time
9:51 PM
IMAG0426.jpg

The filling was Poulting (a white fish, already cheap, reduced in Morrisons), and the same seafood mix as went in my paella a few weeks ago - prawns, mussels and squid. Fish was poached in milk and water, with bay leaf, peppercorns and dill. White sauce was made with strained poaching liquor. Topping was mashed potato, with grated Red Leicester cheese on top, grilled. Served with peas and carrots and baby leaf salad.

:hungry:

All washed down with a can of shandy.

For once, the topping didn't sink into the sauce, the sauce didn't climb up the sides of the dish, and the top stayed cheesy side up when I served. Result!

Looks really good, Arch. I like the idea of Red Leicester cheese - it gives the dish a bit of colour. Fish pie can be a bit insipid looking, but that makes it look more attractive, and part of the eating experience is with the eyes. If something looks colourless, we expect it to be tasteless as well.

I'm not a fan of smoked fish, but when I make a fish pie, I usually add a little smoked salmon for extra colour and flavour.

Back
Top Bottom