Recipe Flageolet Verts in Garlic & Wine Sauce

morning glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:45 AM
Delicate flageolet verts are perfect in this creamy wine, butter and garlic sauce. I used only a small amount of spinach here but you can vary the quantity or even leave it out altogether. I used some of the water from the can of beans to thicken the sauce. If you wish you could add a splash of cream too. This dish would make an excellent accompaniment to roast lamb or pork or some good quality sausages.

Ingredients (serves 2 as a side dish)
1 x 400g tin of flageolet verts (240g drained weight) plus some can water
30g raw baby spinach (optional)
½ a red onion, very finely sliced
1 very large clove of garlic, finely sliced
30g butter
50ml white wine
½ tsp fennel seeds
A few sprigs of thyme
White pepper
Salt
A splash of cream (optional)

Method
  1. Gently heat the butter in a pan until it begins to foam. Add the red onion and garlic slivers and fry gently until the onion has softened. Add the fennel seeds and fry for a few seconds.
  2. Add the wine and heat until it reaches a simmer.
  3. Add the beans, thyme and a few tablespoons of the bean water.
  4. Simmer for 10 minutes adding more bean water as required until the sauce reaches a creamy consistency.
  5. Season with salt and white pepper, to taste.
  6. Add the raw spinach, if using, and allow to wilt in the sauce.
  7. Add a splash of cream and stir through before serving (optional)

caseydog

Local time
9:45 PM
MG, I had to look up flageolet verts. The only substitution I found was cannellini beans. Would say that is accurate? I can taste all the other ingredients in my head. I just want to get an idea about the beans themselves.

CD

caseydog

Local time
9:45 PM
As we come to judgement day :eek:, I face down the perpetual challenge of online competitions -- judging food without tasting it. The pictures do help -- some.

I will probably have to research some beans and other ingredients, and may ask a few questions.

CD

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Local time
10:45 PM
MG, I had to look up flageolet verts. The only substitution I found was cannellini beans. Would say that is accurate? I can taste all the other ingredients in my head. I just want to get an idea about the beans themselves.

CD
I can get flageolet beans here, but dried only, not canned. I have to go to the gourmet store for them; they're the ones I used in my cassoulet.

You might have luck looking at a similar place in your area. I may even be able to get them canned at the large international market - I've never had a need to look.

In the cassoulet recipe, they recommended Great Northern beans as a substitute.

morning glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:45 AM

CD
Yes, similar - they are perhaps a little sweeter and more delicate in taste.

medtran49

Veteran
Local time
10:45 PM
Made this tonight. I pretty much followed the recipe, except I added just a touch of EVOO so the butter wouldn't burn, crushed the fennel seeds a bit, and I added a little more wine, basically to finish the little bottle. Also, since I had it, finished the dish with some fennel pollen.

I used dried beans, 1 cup, overnight soak, then 6 cups of water, fresh thyme sprigs and a bay leaf. Cooked for 1.5 hours. Salt after they were soft. A Martha Stewert recipe. There was way too much water so would cut that down to 3 cups and add if needed. I had to aggressively season the dried beans FYI.

Next time, I may thinly slice some fresh fennel and add that with the red onions.

A very good recipe!

Last edited:
Top Bottom