Flavor Question: What's the "Mildest" Fish?

Kate

Veteran
Local time
11:50 AM
My family really isn't too much into fish and we need to get a lot more of it into our menus... I've noticed that some fish have a much heavier flavor (or as my daughter says, "TOOOOO fishy tasting!") but some are milder.

Besides the "basic" fish that is found in every market (haddock, tilapia, cod, etc.) which fish would you say has the mildest, or "less fishy" taste? Is there a less popular variety that might fit into that category... maybe that can only be found in a fish market vs. on store shelves?

Pollock is supposed to be in the same family as Haddock and Cod. From what I've been reading, Haddock is becoming more scarce due to over-fishing (and I believe the same goes for Cod), and the author was suggesting some lesser known varieties of fish that they suggested people seek out, with Pollock being one of them.

I think even traditionally mild fishes will still have a fishy taste if they aren't particularly fresh. Also, if they are grown under poor conditions they can smell pretty bad too. I've bought some discount brands of frozen shrimp that smelled horrible when I opened the bag.

If you happen to live near a Trader Joe's, they have a great selection of different types of fish all in vacuum sealed bags, at pretty reasonable prices. Another one I tried there that was rather mild was Skate. It's got a sort of odd texture though because the flesh is made up of very fine segments, unlike other fish that break apart into big flakes.

Chilean Sea Bass, while not necessarily mild in flavor has a wonderful meaty texture to it and it's bright white. The flavor isn't really a "fishy" smell, but it's kind of unique, almost reminded me of almonds.

I'm not sure if the fishes I'll mention are widely available where you live, but from my experience they are quite mild! My mom hates fish and these are the fishes she will eat. Black grouper is one of my favorites, it tastes delicious! Also flounder, hake and tilapia are all white fish with mild taste.
Just an advice, fishes from the sea are usually milder and taste less like "fish" than river fish.

I think just about any white fish is pretty mild. Bass is pretty mild. Mahi Mahi isn't too bad either. You'll find that most fish and chip joints use Haddock, Cod, or Pollock because the taste isn't overpowering.

My family, besides me, are not fish eaters. However, I've cooked Bass for them with no complaints. They comment that they like it because it's not too fishy.Many times, I'll spread a little low fat mayonnaise on the fish, coat it in Panko and bake it. They love it that way.

I like tilapia and and salmon. They really do not taste fishy to my palate. I put a lot of lemon juice or lemon pepper on them and they are delicious. So tasty!

I love salmon but it can be fishy if not cooked right. My family only likes it if it is cooked with brown sugar and soy sauce. Otherwise, they think it's too fishy. Tilapia, although mild, isn't a nice tasting fish, to me.

Lemon pepper seasoning is great on fish. For Bass, lemon pepper or garlic is awesome.

I would say Hallibut, Tilapia, and Dover Sol are the least fishy tasting fish. Tilapia does kind of have a "rosemary bite" to it, for lack of a better description. I've had pretty good luck with Sol, except the last time I bought some. I got a really fishy batch. I think it just happens sometimes, and we decided not to eat it. I also think it depends on where you get Salmon. Salmon from Costco usually isn't as fishy, but the Salmon my husband bought from Walmart was almost inedible. He overcooked it (on purpose) with soy sauce and lemon juice to try to get the fishy taste out. I really like Steel head too, but I like fish. Hope this helps.

Most white fish would be considered mild. Tilapia is a very popular and common mild fish, though I've heard that its overproduction has actually made it quite unhealthy (chemicals, feces in the fish feed, etc). I would also recommend mahi mahi (this is my favorite fish and I am definitely not a seafood person!), orange ruffy, or cod.

I'd say that "mildest fish" would depend on where you live. The mildest fish I've ever shot and eaten are hogfish. Black grouper are a close second and extremely hard to hunt in my area. We have a deep water species called tile fish that are also mild. I believe that fatty fish like salmon and oily fish like mackerel are most often associated with that "fishy taste".

My family really isn't too much into fish and we need to get a lot more of it into our menus... I've noticed that some fish have a much heavier flavor (or as my daughter says, "TOOOOO fishy tasting!") but some are milder.

Besides the "basic" fish that is found in every market (haddock, tilapia, cod, etc.) which fish would you say has the mildest, or "less fishy" taste? Is there a less popular variety that might fit into that category... maybe that can only be found in a fish market vs. on store shelves?

My wife is the same way. She likes fish. She doesn't want it to taste "fishy" as your daughter stated. I vacationed in Florida two years ago. A friend was hosting a poker meet up at his vacation home on Anna Maria Island. The best part of the trip was the Friday night dinner. We ate at a place called the Rod and Reel Pier . They didn't have a standard dinner menu. Whatever they caught during the day is what they served in the evening. WOW.........I don't remember what I ordered. I do remember that the prices were awesome and it was some of the best fish I have ever eaten .

@detroitdad

Best idea is to contact the restaurant if they have a website or call the General Manager .. They could tell you what was on their carte during that season.

Back
Top Bottom