Flavoured Mayos

Rocklobster

Legendary Member
Local time
8:29 AM
I make a lot of flavoured mayos at the shop for our sandwiches and wraps..I always like to try to come up with new ones to feature for my lunch specials..right now, for the menu, I use pesto mayo, garlic, mustard, chipotle, jerk, horse radish, sun-dried tomato, thousand island..anybody else make their own? If so, what do you use them with?

I make plain mayonnaise and I’ve made garlic-basil mayonnaise, just used for sandwiches and as a dipping sauce.

I’ve got some sun-dried tomatoes to use up, so I’m going to try that next, I think. Good idea!
I use a sun dried tomato mayo for a chicken/cappocolo/Assiago sandwich we feature from time to time..

Last edited:
Making my own Mayonnaise is on my culinary bucket list

Its easier than you might think. I always make it from scratch, although not often. Egg yolks and oil is all it is really. Although a great vegan mayo can be made from aquafaba: Recipe Vegan Basil Mayonnaise. TastyReuben makes his mayo from scratch too.

To add to ideas is honey dill mayo. My intro to the recipe says its a Canadian favourite! I must have researched that at the time: Recipe - Asparagus with Honey Dill Mayonnaise, Hazelnut Crumb & Balsamic Reduction

Last edited:
A few that I make are just combining condiments with mayo..I can give you my recipe for mustard mayo..two ingredients..lol
Now this I've done many times, using Kewpie Mayo and Honey Mustard for dipping fried Chicken and crudité.
I'll try it with a jarred Pesto & Kewpie next time 😋

Making my own Mayonnaise is on my culinary bucket list
I'll second MG. It's not hard at all. Just have patience and follow the directions to SLOWLY drizzle in the oil until the emulsion forms. And, even if it doesn't form the first time, just start over with a clean container, another yolk and whatever acid you are using, then start drizzling in the mixture you already have but slower this time.

Oh, i use a mixture of about 2 to 1 veggie oil and EVOO respectively as it's too olive oil tasting to me if you use all EVOO. Or you could just use all veggie or canola oil.

I'll second MG. It's not hard at all. Just have patience and follow the directions to SLOWLY drizzle in the oil until the emulsion forms. And, even if it doesn't form the first time, just start over with a clean container, another yolk and whatever acid you are using, then start drizzling in the mixture you already have but slower this time.

Oh, i use a mixture of about 2 to 1 veggie oil and EVOO respectively as it's too olive oil tasting to me if you use all EVOO. Or you could just use all veggie or canola oil.
It's on my to-do list !!!
And I've done the kewpie & siracha as well, very nice.
So gee, I guess I do make flavored Mayo after all :smug:

Based on an Indian condiment, add minced garlic, ginger, green chile, mint and cilantro to mayo... Great with fish and grills.
Another option which I sometimes use as a dip is roasted red peppers with a tsp of smoked paprika.

Mayo is on my do not eat/enjoy list. I have gone to restaurants, ordered a sandwich and said "No mayo." The servers sometimes check back and say "Are you sure you don't want some mayo?"

Yeah RL I haven't purchased mayo in decades. For the restaurant I make about 4 liters a week and garlic mayo is the main one. Another main one is a kimchi mayo for our cauliflower karaage. Not to be confused with garlic aioli which some people think is the same thing. I do make an aioli but rarely and only when I can get fresh local garlic and happen to have an exceptional EVOO on hand, which is not very often.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom