Flavourless Cooking Oils

Eating Chicken

Local time
5:10 PM
Hello,

I am looking for a "neutral" cooking oil that is purely for frying beef in the pan and won't interfere with the taste of the meat.

Kind regards,
Eating Chicken

Are you cooking a good quality steak or another cut that might not be as tender? For the steak, I'd use butter which will enhance the flavor. If stir frying I'd use grape seed or vege oil. I don't like canola as to me it adds an off flavor.

Grapeseed oil.

Or 13.76 kroner of extra light olive oil from Norway. :cool:
(just kidding)
But seriously, like Craigsy said, grapeseed or veg.

Last edited:
Rapeseed oil is cheap and neutral. Rapeseed is farmed in abundance in the UK - its those fields of yellow you see in the countryside. Its often labelled 'vegetable oil' like this one from Tesco which is in fact 100% rapeseed. You often see pictures of the yellow flowers on the label:

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 14.54.39.png

Rapeseed oil = canola oil, by the way. I've switched to corn oil, since canola does seem to contribute something subtle to the finished product, despite claims that it has a neutral flavor.

But, I suppose packaging is everything, and it can be different from market to market. What we call vegetable oil is different from what we call canola oil, but that's not so in the UK, eh?

Rapeseed oil = canola oil,

Yes, I knew they were similar - not quite the same. Canola is genetically modified, understand.

Both canola and rapeseed belong to the cabbage or mustard family. The plants' flowers both have that characteristic bright yellow color, and you get oil from both of the seeds by crushing the plants. That said, they have a couple key genetic differences. Canola was created through plant-breeding in order to get rid of two undesirable components of rapeseed.

https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-canola-and-rapeseed-206047

In the UK, rapeseed oil is sometimes labelled as vegetable oil but not always. The contents on the label always list what the oil is made from in any case. We also have some fantastic extra virgin cold-pressed rapeseed oil here which is a 'gourmet' oil.

5509_20363_z.jpg

It was on sale, so I got 2 bottles for just under $12 US, or about 10 Euros.

The reason I am asking is that Gordon Ramsay seems to say "grandma oil" during one of the videos he made. However, on closer inspection he actually said "groundnut oil."

He recommended adding salt, pepper, soy sauce, ginger and garlic to beef strips and said that the wrong oil could interfere with the flavour.

The reason I am asking is that Gordon Ramsay seems to say "grandma oil" during one of the videos he made. However, on closer inspection he actually said "groundnut oil."

He recommended adding salt, pepper, soy sauce, ginger and garlic to beef strips and said that the wrong oil could interfere with the flavour.

Did he specify what the nut oil was and was he actually cooking something in it or using it as an ingredient or finishing oil. Sesame oil is great as an ingredient and finishing oil and I use it to brown the meatballs I make for a particular Banh Mi. Walnut oil is also a great nut oil.

I'd forgotten about walnut oil @CraigC I love it poured on jacket potatoes instead of butter.

Mum usually buys be some foodie presents for Christmas and often went to France to stock up on Christmas treats. One year my haul included walnut oil as she knew I liked it. We had my father in law staying with us after Christmas and I came down stairs one morning to find him frying sausages in my walnut oil! Who needs more fat to cook sausages! Especially walnut oil!

Back
Top Bottom