Recipe Flour tortillas

Cinisajoy

Veteran
Local time
3:52 AM
Here is the best recipe I have found for flour tortillas.
https://whatscookingamerica.net/CynthiaPineda/Tortilla/TortillaMaking.htm
Please look at the pictures. Your tortillas need those brown spots.

@Yorky, your tortillas didn't look cooked.
Little tip, if you are making Mexican food, cook those tortillas for about 30 seconds on each side on a griddle or skillet before using them in a recipe. (No oil needed.)

The main use we have for flour tortillas is to wrap kebabs. I've tried "cooking" them on a skillet but they ended up crispy and "broke" when trying to wrap the kebabs. Now my wife heats them in the microwave and they stay pliable.

pork kebabs.jpg

@Yorky,
What is the approximate thickness? Those look super thin. So yes, stick with the microwave or try making your own.

I've found an image of the first time I "cooked" the flour tortillas in the skillet.......

kebab wraps 1.jpg

've tried "cooking" them on a skillet but they ended up crispy and "broke" when trying to wrap the kebabs.
Did you leave them to be completely cool before trying to use them? I'm wondering if they were?

One tip my grandmother have was to put them into a rack add they were made, where the rack was wrapped in a damp t-towel. This allows the vital moisture back in which prevents them from being crispy and breaking when used.

I would say less than 2 mm thick. If they were any thinner they would likely be translucent.

View attachment 3602
Our flour tortillas are about 4mm thick. Oh the brown on your tortilla is the correct color but being so thin it will crack.
I always like learning new things.
Side note:
When you go to most Mexican restaurants, you get served tortillas on the side if you want them. They are a bread.

Back
Top Bottom