Foil Cooking Over a Campfire

lenachristine

Veteran
Local time
3:51 PM
We are currently saving to take our kids on a nice camping trip this Summer. I don't want to have to depend on local fast food or feed them hot dogs for every meal so I've been looking in to making foil packs we could pack in a cooler and prepare over the campfire. During my research I notice the same few things are always suggestions but I'd like to be able to create a variety of different meal options for my family. I'm looking for breakfast, lunch and dinner ideas with a focus on breakfast since that seems to be the hardest for me to come up with ideas for. Any suggests for foil packet meals that would keep well in a cooler over a 2-3 day period and wont' take forever to cook over a fire?

You could par boil some chicken and then freeze it in foil until you want to cook it. Baked potatoes in foil are easy as well. My dad used to peel and slice potatoes, toss in a few pats of butter and salt and pepper, wrap them in foil and cook them in the fire. Really tasty way to have potatoes.

I also slice up things like squash onions and tomatoes, and toss in some cheese. I forgot to mention in my last post that you should add some parmigiano cheese to the potatoes. I have also husked corn on the cob and wrapped that in foil and it comes out great. Don't forget the s'mores too!

We are currently saving to take our kids on a nice camping trip this Summer. I don't want to have to depend on local fast food or feed them hot dogs for every meal so I've been looking in to making foil packs we could pack in a cooler and prepare over the campfire. During my research I notice the same few things are always suggestions but I'd like to be able to create a variety of different meal options for my family. I'm looking for breakfast, lunch and dinner ideas with a focus on breakfast since that seems to be the hardest for me to come up with ideas for. Any suggests for foil packet meals that would keep well in a cooler over a 2-3 day period and wont' take forever to cook over a fire?
For breakfast, try packing some raw eggs that have been beaten up and seasoned at home, add to a good sturdy zip lock bag. Get some link sausage, cut it up into small bites, pre cook it and add it to the egg mixture after it cools off. Take HEAVY duty Foil with you. When you get ready to cook, the egg/sausage mixture in the foil pouch you have prepared. If you wait until you are ready to cook, you won't have to worry about it breaking loose in the ice chest.

I think corned beef or sausages would be great for this. You could just pack them all individually and throw them onto the campfire but I'm not sure that they won't stick. I trust they won't though especially if you dab some oil on the surface before packing them.

Back
Top Bottom