Foil wrapped oven baked sweet potato - end result same as regular potato?

foodie67me

Local time
11:15 AM
Hello everyone! I hope all is well.

Who doesn't like a good oven baked potato? Recently I washed a bunch of large russet potatoes, dipped them in and used my hand to rub canola oil on the surface and then I rubbed salt and pepper on them. I then individually wrapped them in foil and baked them in the oven for just over an hour at 450F. The end result was delicious. I sliced the potato in half and it was soft and tasty as a side dish, especially with butter.

My questions:

1. Has anyone ever tried the same foil wrapped approach above however using sweet potato instead?

2. When the sweet potato is done baking, unwrapped and cut in half, is the sweet potato mushy/liquid-type or does it maintain a nice firm-ish texture that regular potatoes have when they are baked? I have seen some pictures online for foil wrapped oven baked sweet potatoes and the end result texture looked mushy as if the sweet potato inside was melting.

Thanks!

I love baked sweet taters. They tend to collapse internally when done, unlike russets. However, cut open with butter, salt and pepper, they are wonderful. I've never tried using them for stuffing like I would a russet and I don't eat the skin like I would a russet.

Russet potatoes have more starch and less sugars than sweet potatoes. I would recommend a longer cooking time at a lower temperature for a sweet potato -- maybe 350F oven. Either potato should be cooked to an internal temperature of 200-210F. Use a probe thermometer.

Please poke some holes in either kind of potato, wrapped in foil or not, so they won't explode from internal steam.

CD

I eat sweet potato skin as often as I do russet potato skin. Which means I'll eat both, but taste-wise I prefer other potato skins, such as the Yukon or the blue, or other "gold" potatoes. I just don't need to remove any of the skins unless there are bad, or very coarse regions. I do cook the sweet potatoes longer and lower, as caseydog notes.

Thanks for your reply all! 'Collapse' was the word that I was looking for!

Back
Top Bottom