Food Confessions

Jade

Veteran
Local time
7:15 AM
Let's make this a thread of some of the food related practices that we feel guilty for. I'll start out with an example and hopefully you guys will understand what I mean. Not necessarily a guilty pleasures thread, but it is welcome here as well.

My confession is that I still don't know what gluten is. The trend of gluten free foods hasn't reached us yet, or at least as far as I know, and I've always heard it from TV shows and comments online but have never been curious enough to look it up. I imagine it is a gelatinous fatty substance, but I doubt I am correct.

Also, more:

I used to put A1 steak sauce on almost everything, including pasta.

I sometimes prefer eating room temperature / nearly cold pizza and McDonald's hamburgers, but only sometimes.

I sometimes prefer cheap alternatives over their authentic counterparts such as cheap frozen pizza, cheap hot sauce, and cheap canned ham, but again only sometimes.

What about you? Please don't let me be the only one with weird habits. :)

I like sweet and salty combinations. Sea salt caramel. Pineapple ham. Banana cheese.

Also with you there, for the sometimes going for cheaper alternatives to some foods.

While I look forward to seasons where a particular food is cooked, if I get a craving then nothing is going to stop me...except if the craving is a ripe fruit in season. But most seasonal foods like Thanksgiving turkey or Chinese Lunar Festival moon cakes, I'll have in March. I don't think that makes the season itself any less special. If I have a craving, I kind of Hulk out until I can get at it, so...I get guilty about that later!

I like fried fish when it's cold. I like it hot too, but there was a little corner deli/grocery store that was near my grandparents house growing up that we would always walk down to and buy a bunch of fresh fried fish. They would bread and fry up huge pieces of haddock, then let them cool off and chill them in the deli window. When you wanted some fish, they would take some out and wrap it in paper for you. I guess the intent was for you to bring it home and warm it in your oven. But we would just eat it cold because it was so damn good. If there was a few pounds of it in our fridge at any given time I would keep snacking on it all day.

I'm also the same way with lunch meats, I will stand at the fridge and just graze on lunch meats and cheese, sometimes I will even break off some pieces of cold hot dogs and snack on those too. If my folks by a couple pounds of thinly sliced deli ham, I will grab a fistful of it and snack on it, lol.

Some other quirks, I love dipping garlic bread sticks into BBQ sauce. I also love dipping McDonalds fries into the tartar sauce they put on their fish sandwiches.

Back
Top Bottom