Food & cooking abbreviations & nicknames

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
11:31 AM
[Mod comment: copied to start a new topic (TR)]:

Let's put is this way. I don't have any macaroni, so it's going to be pasta with a dairy free cheese sauce.... any better?
Yes! :laugh:

Seriously, I don’t know why, but I generally get annoyed at shortened names for things, especially foods. I rarely say or type that certain four-letter substitute for mayonnaise, for example. 😜

Seriously, I don’t know why, but I generally get annoyed at shortened names for things, especially foods. I rarely say or type that certain four-letter substitute for mayonnaise, for example. 😜
I'm in Australia, it's hard to avoid shortened names for anything and everything!

I agree. Don't get me started on EVOO. We are off topic. Abbreviations is a new thread which you can start TastyReuben! :D And move these posts to it maybe...

Because of this thread, I'm aware that I don't remember how I normally pronounce "mayonnaise". may-o-naise? mayn-ase? man-ase? To hell with it I'll just call it mayo.

"Mayo" has a better cadence to it anyway.
"Let me get a turkey sandwich, LETtuce, MAyo, toMAto." It's practically poetry.

I pronounce it “MAIN-aaaaaaase,” with a whole lotta “a’s”, like Fonzie.

OK - so what about Surf & Turf?
Parm? (cringes) - or is that just applied to tinned sawdust?
Avo? (as in guacamole) or guac?
Surf & turf - never is that served in our house or consumed by me (only by MrsT a few times a year on posh nights out), so it’s not much of an issue.

Parm…I may have done that at some point, but not very often, and it’s actually also a shortened term in my career field (short for “parameter”), so I hear/see it a lot. It’s very common to see “chicken parm” listed as a dish on menus here. I’ve also seen it on occasion in England and Ireland listed that way.

Avo - that’s incredibly annoying, but another thing we never consume in this house.

How about “cauli” for cauliflower?

But that's what it is called in Australia...

Along with sarnie, veggies, mayo, avo, Barbie, bickie, snatch&grab, bum-nuts, brownie (brown beer), cauli, coldie (cold can of beer), lobbie, esky (coldbox), muddie (crab), mudbug (crayfish), sinker (pie), snag (sausage), mushie (mushroom), to name one or two...

And tablespoons are 20ml here not 15ml so I now have to double check the source of a recipe to work out if it's an Aussie source or the rest of the world and if the Aussie source is a Aussie or expat and if they are an expat then you'll be down to a did they, didn't they game...

And don't ask about Angels Sandwiches...

Back
Top Bottom