Food Dehydrator

I've debated it too but decided not too due to space and the fact I probably wouldn't use it often enough. There are some things you can dehydrate in the microwave using the de-frost setting. Also, of course, you can set the oven to the lowest temperature and leave the leaves etc. overnight.

I think @SatNavSaysStraightOn has (or had) a dehydrator so maybe she will comment.

I've debated it too but decided not too due to space and the fact I probably wouldn't use it often enough. There are some things you can dehydrate in the microwave using the de-frost setting. Also, of course, you can set the oven to the lowest temperature and leave the leaves etc. overnight.

I think @SatNavSaysStraightOn has (or had) a dehydrator so maybe she will comment.

I had one also, years ago. But now, my Ninja Foodi is a dehydrator, & also the toaster oven is one. So I don't need to buy one. :wink:

Last edited:
I use the oven to make my own bread crumbs. 50/50 white and whole bread. But wife bought a dehydrater last year, we have enough dried parsley, thyme, oregano, 2 types parsley, sage to last 5 years,lol. Seriously we supply our friends as well.

Russ

I’m being sorely tempted to buy a food dehydrator. Keep thinking of all the herbs and fruit I could dry and use...

Also keep thinking I do not need any more gadgets!
I went through the same thought process a couple if tears ago, and ended up buying a second hand Excalibur on fleabay. Good ones are not cheap. The sum total of its production thus far is one batch of fruit leather. In fairness, since I bought it I've not had a glut of tomatoes, which was the main reason I bought it. Must try harder this season!

I do have the six-drawer Excalibur, and really like it.

Things I've made and liked: zucchini chips, sweet potato chips, dried grape tomatoes (slice in half), dried strawberries (slice to 1/8th inch or thereabouts), lamb jerky. Asparagus (I dried it, ground it, and turned most of that into soup).

Things I've made and need work: kale chips - not quite ready for prime time! White potato chips - unfortunately I'm so ingrained on the bad-for-you potato chips that these healthier things leave me cold and disinterested.

I want to dehydrate onions, along with the above successes, again this year. And try kale again.

A lot of dried fruit I dislike to begin with (texture and concentrated sweetness), and I have no desire to chew through overly-sweet fruit leathers.

Yes I have one and used it quite a bit in the past. Ill health and 4 months in hospital last year have meant it hasn't been out much this season.
But I to picked mine up on ebay . All 3 of them, but I only have the one now . I had 2 of the 9 drawer Excalibur ones, but they found new homes with my brother-in-law . The last one is a 5 drawer model Excalibur and is brilliant . Much quieter than the 2 9 drawer ones thankfully .

Kale crisps are a doddle to make and disappear very quickly in this household. Fruit leathers are great as well but I over did blackberry ones a few years back and we've not had any since . Dried fruit slices are also excellent.

We now mostly use it for drying out raw bread and as an incubator for yeast or sourdough beads, crumpets, oatcakes (Staffordshire ones that is ) and such things .
I really need to start using it more again but my diet currently restricts that option .

Dehydrator rack for Ninja Foodi..jpg

I'm gonna order this accessory dehydrator rack soon for the Ninja Foodi! :wink:

I’m still resisting but the replies on here are tempting me!
They are not that easy to track down second hand on eBay so if you see one... If not, you can keep looking. It's something that takes time to find one that works. ( we actually tested the ones we found by turning them on and u up to maximum heat and waiting until we got warmth from it before completing the purchase). It's essential you wait for heat to be produced otherwise all you know is that the fan works not if the heating element is functional and certainly not that the thermostat works (the heating element needs to cut out for you to know that one but in hindsight you can turn the thermostat down to minimum once heat is produced and see if there is a click that it's recognised that it needs to turn the heating element off.)

Last edited:
I cracked and bought one!
Currently trying it out with citrus fruits.

As I now have my She Shed up and running I have a bit of space to leave it running overnight. I think it will probably come into its own when the garden is in full production. Last year I had masses of alpine strawberries and it would have been great to dehydrate them for adding to porridge in the winter. Same with tomatoes (although I’ve made lots of sauce this year).
We’ll see........

Back
Top Bottom