Food during the season of Lent

Corzhens

Veteran
Local time
4:27 AM
We Catholics have the tradition not to eat meat during the Holy Week. It is a religious practice that we had inherited from our grandparents. Although it is not really practical in this modern time, we still continue the practice. Vegetable is our main fare during that season, not salads though but stewed vegetables. For the last 2 days we would have fish and that's a treat already.

During Lent, most people in my country would eat fish rather than meat. However, I do not totally eradicate the meat during this season, but would eat more fish than meat. The day when only fish would be eaten is on Good Friday. No meat products would be eaten on that day. This is a tradition that we have always kept.

Lent to me is giving up a vice food ie chocolate for six weeks from Ash Wednesday till Easter Sunday

Lent to me is giving up a vice food ie chocolate for six weeks from Ash Wednesday till Easter Sunday

That's what Lent means to me too. Not necessarily a food but definitely some kind of vice. I don't thnink I've ever met anyone in RL who has successfully completed this Lenten period!

I skip meat on every Friday during Lent. I also try to give up or lessen certain negative behaviors. In my case,that usually involves attempting to decrease my use of cuss words, but I'm often not very successful, especially when driving.

My grandparents and parents had said to us before during the Lenten Season most Catholics really celebrate it solemnly and following its religious beliefs and tradition. No eating of meat, always praying the rosary and the stations of the cross while visiting churches in every place. But with the passage of time these beliefs had changed. Today during the Lenten Season some families are going out of town and traveling to places for a vacation to enjoy themselves Some are eating meats and other foods and they are not fasting anymore and the solemnity is not there anymore.

I'm debating on how to cook the Tilapia fillets I have in the fridge, and just saw this topic revived. It occurred to me that I haven't cooked fish since Lent. I try to keep fish and other seafood, or at least some cans of tuna in the house during Lent, because I don't eat meat on Fridays (or Ash Wednesday). If i don't have fish or seafood on hand, I'll sometimes end up eating peanut butter and jelly, or cooking some sort of egg dish.

I'm debating on how to cook the Tilapia fillets I have in the fridge, and just saw this topic revived. It occurred to me that I haven't cooked fish since Lent. I try to keep fish and other seafood, or at least some cans of tuna in the house during Lent, because I don't eat meat on Fridays (or Ash Wednesday). If i don't have fish or seafood on hand, I'll sometimes end up eating peanut butter and jelly, or cooking some sort of egg dish.
That's a long time to go without eating fish! I usually eat it at least once a week. But as a non-religious person, Lent arriving, means Pancake Day must be arriving too! :happy:

That's a long time to go without eating fish! I usually eat it at least once a week. But as a non-religious person, Lent arriving, means Pancake Day must be arriving too! :happy:

Fish and seafood are expensive, so although I have had canned tuna, I haven't had a good piece of fish. I got a great deal on the tilapia fillets, they were thicker than I usually get, but on manager's special, so were affordable and scrumptious! Yes, I always have the Fat Tuesday feast the night before Ash Wednesday, as well! :cheers::hungry::cook:

Back
Top Bottom