Food in literature

Lucian Hodoboc

Local time
12:11 AM
Besides cooking books, many of us enjoy reading novels occasionally, right? Let's talk about food in fictional literature. Which novels or short stories stuck with you because the author included passages related to food, cooking or anything from the culinary arts?

I'll start off this thread by mentioning The Hunger Games trilogy. Those who have read this series know that, in spite of its name, the books name quite a few of the dishes that the tributes enjoyed in the Capitol before and after the actual "Games".

Your turn. :popcorn:

Food always played an important role in “The Godfather”, because family is also an important part of the story. And, what do you do when you get together with family? You eat. In this case, you eat Italian food, of course.

Babette's Feast, based on the novel by Karen Blixen. I found the film a bit boring (anyway a good film), I liked the novel and I even saw a theatrical representation in Milano a few years ago.
A lunch for the peace of the town, everything revolves around the food that unites, rediscovers and frees.
It is charged with profound meanings, lunch becomes a symbolic moment but also that allows them to yield to the pleasures of the table, freeing themselves from a series of conventions.
It is never completely direct. Poetic.

The film 'Chocolate' also follows more or less the same thread, but there the yearning is more evident.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom