Food Myths

Jade

Veteran
Local time
6:13 AM
Know of any food myths? Share them here so we could all benefit from staying away from unnecessary products and practices.

The one I feel strongly about is the myth about whole wheat being better than regular. My family used to get whole wheat exclusively and I hated it and I later found out that it wasn't really all that much better in terms of health than their regular counterparts. They just have an injection of fiber in them but otherwise they aren't any lower in calories, and I would much rather just get my fiber elsewhere like fruits than force myself to eat cardboard-like bread or waffles. I could be wrong, though, as I'm not really an expert, so feel free to correct me if so.

Low fat and low calorie foods are good for you, actually they tend to contain high levels of salt and sugar

I have been hearing all along that oat flakes and oatmeal are good for you because they help to keep bad cholesterol levels down. Now, only recently I have learned that these products contain gluten which is a product that is not easily digested. The same goes for bran bread. We have been told to stay away from white bread because it can cause sugar crashes, and to use bran bread instead. Now I am hearing that all bread contains gluten, so that also includes bran bread.

For years it has been taught that salt increases blood pressure levels and that those with hypertension should use it sparingly. A week ago I heard, much to my amazement, that salt is not the culprit where high blood pressure is concerned at all; it has nothing to do with raising one's blood pressure. In fact, I was informed that sea salt contains a lot of minerals which are good for you, and is therefore very nutritious. Other conditions, not salt, contribute to high blood pressure.

Bananas were always known to be good for you because of its high fiber content, and the fact that it contains a high level of potassium. Now we are hearing that it should be avoided by those who want to keep their weight down.

Back
Top Bottom