Food saver system?

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
9:10 AM
We are getting ready to have an abundance of fresh produce (particularly tomatoes) and I am interested in getting a food saver system (to freeze tomato sauce mostly) but really don't know which one to get. I would like to get one with reusable bags and maybe containers that work with the system? Any advice from those of you who have one?

I'm not even sure what they are... example?
Fresh & Save - Vacuum Storage System | ZWILLING.COM

1659813655620.png

https://www.foodsaver.com/
1659813838380.png

I love mine. It is my second one -- I wore the first one out. I got that one in the 1990s.

Most, if not all will do containers. Some units come with containers, but cheaper models do not. However, you can buy a variety of containers separately. You can even get attachments for Mason jars. I have them. They were not expensive, and work well.

I don't personally see the point in reusable bags. They seem like a cleaning hassle. For freezine meats and other foods, the single use bags make more sense. If I do want to open a bag, take some things out (such as frozen veggies), I make a longer bag than needed from a roll of bag material, so I can have extra room at one end to cut the bag open, take some veggies out, and still have plenty of room to reseal the bag. I hope that makes sense.

There is always a handful of Foodsaver machines on sale at the Foodsaver web site. When I bought my current unit, it was marked down something like 40-percent.

More questions? Ask away. I've got a good 25 years of Foodsaver experience under my belt.

CD

I love mine. It is my second one -- I wore the first one out. I got that one in the 1990s.

Most, if not all will do containers. Some units come with containers, but cheaper models do not. However, you can buy a variety of containers separately. You can even get attachments for Mason jars. I have them. They were not expensive, and work well.

I don't personally see the point in reusable bags. They seem like a cleaning hassle. For freezine meats and other foods, the single use bags make more sense. If I do want to open a bag, take some things out (such as frozen veggies), I make a longer bag than needed from a roll of bag material, so I can have extra room at one end to cut the bag open, take some veggies out, and still have plenty of room to reseal the bag. I hope that makes sense.

There is always a handful of Foodsaver machines on sale at the Foodsaver web site. When I bought my current unit, it was marked down something like 40-percent.

More questions? Ask away. I've got a good 25 years of Foodsaver experience under my belt.

CD
I don't mind spending money on quality products. The resealable bags won't bother me as far as cleaning goes, and containers will be great as well. I just hate the idea of wasting all that plastic and it ending up in the landfills. I try to reduce and reuse as much as possible.

My husband's cousin has a Weston that he loves greatly. I don't think it has any attachments to use for containers, though. When the first crop of tomatoes are ripe I am going to make a bunch of sauce and he is going to bring his machine over and show me how to use it, and I will gift him some bags of sauce in exchange, but I really am keen on the reusable stuff and I don't think his machine can do that. At least I will get a feel for how the whole thing works since I have never done it.

And sous vide is on my list at some point in the future.

I am sure I will have questions about both in the future, thanks!

I don't mind spending money on quality products. The resealable bags won't bother me as far as cleaning goes, and containers will be great as well. I just hate the idea of wasting all that plastic and it ending up in the landfills. I try to reduce and reuse as much as possible.

My husband's cousin has a Weston that he loves greatly. I don't think it has any attachments to use for containers, though. When the first crop of tomatoes are ripe I am going to make a bunch of sauce and he is going to bring his machine over and show me how to use it, and I will gift him some bags of sauce in exchange, but I really am keen on the reusable stuff and I don't think his machine can do that. At least I will get a feel for how the whole thing works since I have never done it.

And sous vide is on my list at some point in the future.

I am sure I will have questions about both in the future, thanks!

I believe that the reusable bags use a different vacuum machine. Jars and containers use the standard machine. The reusable bags are better for things like deli meats, that you will open several times to get a little out of the bag. They are also good for marinading. A freezer full of steaks and other meats in reusable bags will get pricey.

The easy way to vacuum seal sauces (and other liquids) is the put the sauce in bags, freeze them standing up in the freezer, then use the vacuum sealer. That way, the sauce is a solid before you vacuum seal.

CD

If you mean these reusable bags:

Foodsaver

Regardless of the star rating in that image, I found these next to useless and stopped using them early on, instead preferring to use the method caseydog recommends, just making a longer bag that you can trim and reseal.

The problem I had with these is that they’re not 100% sealed, due to that little inlet valve thingy, so over the course of a few days, it loses its seal and is no better than a plain old ziploc bag.

Back
Top Bottom