Food Trends

I've looked up the bean thing before as I really don't think they belong on a full English breakfast. So, Heinz Baked Beans first sold in Fortnum and Mason in the late 1800s as a luxury item and became so popular that Heinz opened factories in the UK (early 1900s). Then during WWII baked beans were declared "Essential food" as they are a good substitute for meat. Due to the meat shortage pork was removed from the ingredients to make tinned beans a cheap, nutritious product.

SPAM in Hawaii does go back to WWII, although I don't know the full story by memory. The story is all over the internet, I'm sure.

CD
Family member in military stationed in Hawaii for a few years - kids packed sushi rolls as school lunches with Spam in place of the fish - learned recipe from the locals.

Recently, around these parts, I've seen a tendency to serve baked beans (and even mushy peas*) in a ramekin placed on the main plate. This was new to me.

*In Singapore in early 2000 I was served mushy peas (and not very good ones) in a ramekin with fish and chips. In Harry Ramsden's of all places!

On another site an American friend posted an image of his breakfast today. Beef steak, white rice, poached eggs and baked beans in a ramekin!

[Note: the poached eggs were well below the standard of those posted on this site]

On another site an American friend posted an image of his breakfast today. Beef steak, white rice, poached eggs and baked beans in a ramekin!

[Note: the poached eggs were well below the standard of those posted on this site]
I don't have a problem with foods in ramekins, as I generally don't like my different foods to touch on the plate, but that just sounds...weird.

I'm sure that he won't mind........

Back
Top Bottom