Food you can't or won't eat

Peloquin

Local time
9:19 PM
Are there any food you can't eat, either medical, religious, ethical or simply taste grounds and if so does it affect your cooking?
I absolutely detest tomatoes and cucumbers. The cucumber is nothing really but tomatoes make a lot of things hard. Curry etc almost all want tomatoes in there, makes things ahead as I'm not a great cook (always trying to learn).

I'm not able to eat leafy greens and any very fibrous vegetables, because my colon has been removed. I also can't digest mushrooms, as they are the only vegetable normally digested in the colon. I also have trouble digesting popcorn, wholemeal starches and pineapple.

Aside from that I have asthma and found that cow's milk triggers it, so I can't eat most cow's milk based products. I replace them with goats milk, buffallo and plant milks and cheeses.

Sounds like a lot but it's not super hard to live this way if you're creative in the kitchen.

I'm not able to eat leafy greens and any very fibrous vegetables, because my colon has been removed. I also can't digest mushrooms, as they are the only vegetable normally digested in the colon. I also have trouble digesting popcorn, wholemeal starches and pineapple.

Aside from that I have asthma and found that cow's milk triggers it, so I can't eat most cow's milk based products. I replace them with goats milk, buffallo and plant milks and cheeses.

Sounds like a lot but it's not super hard to live this way if you're creative in the kitchen.
I never heard that before about mushrooms. Fascinating.
I guess when you HAVE to do it things become second nature. I still struggle trying to find a replacement for tomatoes in a recipe.

I guess when you HAVE to do it things become second nature. I still struggle trying to find a replacement for tomatoes in a recipe.
Yes, that is the thing. I could die if I eat these things (a bowel obstruction landed me in the hospital once already) so that's really good motivation.

Maybe sweet paprika (powder or puree) could work as a sub for tomatoes?

Yes, that is the thing. I could die if I eat these things (a bowel obstruction landed me in the hospital once already) so that's really good motivation.

Maybe sweet paprika (powder or puree) could work as a sub for tomatoes?
It's worth a try.
I make enchilada sauce from a recipe I found online that uses veg stock instead of tomatoes, that's very good.
If I'm making something very tomatoes based I tend to use passatta so it's smooth then add gravy granuals so it doesn't taste of tomatoes.
I sometimes dish everyone else's out first then add the granuals after for mine.

There are plenty of curries that don't need tomatoes - I probably have some on the forum and can link to them if you wish.

Roasted red peppers (skinned) and puréed make a good substitute in other more mediterranean type dishes. Here is how to make a spicy version which is very versatile. In fact, I added half a tin of tomatoes to this recipe but they could be omitted.

Recipe - Smoky Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

For a non spicy version simply follow steps 2 and 3 and purée the peppers.

However I'm slightly surprised that you don't like tomatoes either raw or cooked. Cooked tinned tomatoes, particularly in a curry or other strongly spiced dish, taste very different from raw. In fact a small amount of tomato purée can be used in a curry or a beef stew (for example) and barely detected. It simply adds depth of flavour.

There are plenty of curries that don't need tomatoes - I probably have some on the forum and can link to them if you wish.

Roasted red peppers (skinned) and puréed make a good substitute in other more mediterranean type dishes. Here is how to make a spicy version which is very versatile. In fact, I added half a tin of tomatoes to this recipe but they could be omitted.

Recipe - Smoky Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

For a non spicy version simply follow steps 2 and 3 and purée the peppers.

However I'm slightly surprised that you don't like tomatoes either raw or cooked. Cooked tinned tomatoes, particularly in a curry or other strongly spiced dish, taste very different from raw. In fact a small amount of tomato purée can be used in a curry or a beef stew (for example) and barely detected. It simply adds depth of flavour.
That's great, thank you.
I can just about put up with pizza Our baked beans but they don't really taste of tomato. I think it's as much in my head as anything now. I've never liked them but used to have to eat them... If something wasnt eaten then it was there for next meal etc... Until it was eaten.

Now I'm 51, I have Braved it once or twice but as soon as I taste tomato I feel very sick.

I can't stand condiments like ketchup, mustard or mayonnaise, just the smell of them makes me nauseous, even having people eat them next to me is horrible.

I also can't stand cheese in any shape or form.
The cheese I find amazing but(obviously) ketchup I won't touch and hate most other mayonnaise, salad cream type things. I like French mustard though.

That's great, thank you.
I can just about put up with pizza Our baked beans but they don't really taste of tomato. I think it's as much in my head as anything now. I've never liked them but used to have to eat them... If something wasnt eaten then it was there for next meal etc... Until it was eaten.

Now I'm 51, I have Braved it once or twice but as soon as I taste tomato I feel very sick.

It sounds like your thing with tomatoes is more about what you don't like, than what you "can't" eat.

We already have a "don't like" thread.

I love bananas, but can only eat them cooked. I don't know what the difference is, it just is.

CD

It sounds like your thing with tomatoes is more about what you don't like, than what you "can't" eat.

We already have a "don't like" thread.

I love bananas, but can only eat them cooked. I don't know what the difference is, it just is.

CD
Oh sorry, didn't see it.

Back
Top Bottom