Foods That Help Protect Against UV Rays

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
9:41 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
This article was somewhat misleadingly titled Sunscreen You Can Eat, though they did provide a disclaimer that the foods discussed don't replace sunscreen. Here's the paragraph at the beginning that sets the stage for what follows:

Here’s an astounding fact: More Americans get skin cancer each year than every other cancer combined. Nearly 10,000 people are diagnosed every day in this country. And more than 85% of all skin cancers can be traced to sun exposure. The good news is, daily use of sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher reduces your chances of developing it by 40-50%.
Nobody would ever say you should skip slathering on sunscreen in favor of food, but a growing body of research shows that your diet can help protect you from the sun’s damaging rays. Which means that on days when you forget to apply sunscreen (hey, it happens), you’ve got a backup safeguard. It’s all a matter of focusing on the right nutrients.
To be clear: Eating a single meal won’t give you instant protection — food doesn’t work like actual sunscreen. The idea here is to build up the amount of these nutrients circulating in your body, so when you’re exposed to sunlight you’re primed and ready to fight it off.

Recipes are included for the following, most of which I've had just because they're tasty and healthy. Now, I know I can help keep my skin healthier.
  • Watermelon, Feta, and Mint Salad
  • Sparkling Watermelon Lime Slush
  • Muhammara Gazpacho
  • Fire Roasted Salsa
  • French Carrot Salad
  • Coconut Curry Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup
  • Tropical Carrot Juice
  • Baked Sweet Potato Fries
  • Mocha Breakfast Smoothie
  • Sweet Mango Green Tea
  • Banana Mocha "Ice Cream" (Vegan)
  • Chocolate Pomegranate Clusters
  • Grilled Garlic Shrimp with Romesco Sauce
  • Broccoli Salad
  • Triple-Berry Summer Salad
  • Shakshuka

Last edited:
Well I suspect people knew I would chime in, so here I am :D

My misinformation sensor went off when it was estimated that skin cancer in the US was diagnosed at 10,000 cases a day or 3,650,000 or basically 10% of the population a year, yeah no. Total world melanoma is around 1,200,000. There's just over 500,000 cases a year in the US which is basically around 64 per100,000, with Australia the #1 Country for melanoma at 140 per 100,000. Almost all the Scandinavian Countries are in the top 10. I'm also presuming that the mutation in pigmentation throughout our evolutionary past for the absorption of Vit D trumped the need to be protective to melanoma in a thriving scenario. Interesting that the USA has around 40% of total melanomas. It would be also interesting to see which Countries by percentage use sun screens. I suspect the USA would be near the top, but just a guess.

Skin cancer statistics | World Cancer Research Fund International

As far a buying into Debbie's attempt to promote her recipes on Jummly there is some truths in what she says, but making these specific recipes will do absolutely nothing to protect you from melanoma per se. It's specific to certain micronutrients that have been researched and provide some protection to disease and cancer being one of them.

If someone was considered having optimal health then that person probably consumes a varied diet that include many of these micronutrients and I would suspect will live a healthier and longer life with the prevalence of disease as they age to be at a lower risk overall. Of course the opposite is true and considering the health status of the USA that above number of 40% looks more ominous.

EDIT: I made a mistake and the number of 1,200,000 were for nonmelanoma which is skin cancer not related to melanoma or basically other skin cancers not related to the sun. Actual global melanoma is 324,000 and the US had around 98,000 cases in 2019, yeah a far cry from 3,650,000. Also Asia uses the most sunscreens and apparently they want to keep their skin as light as possible and Americans want suntans, go figure. Cheers

Last edited:
I've had basal cell carcinoma and it happened from living for many years in Florida with lots of sun exposure and not wearing sunscreen when I was young. It's a slow growing skin cancer that does not metastasize and nearly everyone in my family has had it. I had it excised about 15 years ago from my left cheek and it left a small scar that is mostly unnoticeable. I do eat a pretty good diet rich in antioxidants, so that's probably helped keep cancers at bay. I have never known anyone personally who has had melanoma.

• Coconut Curry Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup
  • Tropical Carrot Juice
  • Baked Sweet Potato Fries
  • Mocha Breakfast Smoothie
  • Sweet Mango Green Tea
  • Banana Mocha "Ice Cream" (Vegan)
  • Chocolate Pomegranate Clusters
As soon as I saw those dishes, I thought. "Hmmm... some dude is trying to market his menu". Mocha breakfast smoothie? Sweet Mango Green Tea?? Puh-leese!! And then when I saw banana mocha vegan ice cream and chocolate pomegranate clusters, I just knew the whole proposition was OFF. A lifelong vegetarian (well, mostly), I have never, ever, ever eaten or drunk any of the above, and I lived 40 years in a tropical country - no cancer.
I think this is a Donald Trump issue - "fake news".

Well I suspect people knew I would chime in, so here I am :D

My misinformation sensor went off when it was estimated that skin cancer in the US was diagnosed at 10,000 cases a day or 3,650,000 or basically 10% of the population a year, yeah no. Total world melanoma is around 1,200,000. There's just over 500,000 cases a year in the US which is basically around 64 per100,000, with Australia the #1 Country for melanoma at 140 per 100,000. Almost all the Scandinavian Countries are in the top 10. I'm also presuming that the mutation in pigmentation throughout our evolutionary past for the absorption of Vit D trumped the need to be protective to melanoma in a thriving scenario. Interesting that the USA has around 40% of total melanomas. It would be also interesting to see which Countries by percentage use sun screens. I suspect the USA would be near the top, but just a guess.

Skin cancer statistics | World Cancer Research Fund International

As far a buying into Debbie's attempt to promote her recipes on Jummly there is some truths in what she says, but making these specific recipes will do absolutely nothing to protect you from melanoma per se. It's specific to certain micronutrients that have been researched and provide some protection to disease and cancer being one of them.

If someone was considered having optimal health then that person probably consumes a varied diet that include many of these micronutrients and I would suspect will live a healthier and longer life with the prevalence of disease as they age to be at a lower risk overall. Of course the opposite is true and considering the health status of the USA that above number of 40% looks more ominous.

EDIT: I made a mistake and the number of 1,200,000 were for nonmelanoma which is skin cancer not related to melanoma or basically other skin cancers not related to the sun. Actual global melanoma is 324,000 and the US had around 98,000 cases in 2019, yeah a far cry from 3,650,000. Also Asia uses the most sunscreens and apparently they want to keep their skin as light as possible and Americans want suntans, go figure. Cheers
Good job calling out questionable information. I managed to get through life without ever sunbathing. Having been raised on a sunny caribbean island I never saw anybody except for tourists doing it. Not sunbathing is an easy step you can take to reduce the chance of developing a melanoma. I think doctors agree that it is not a healthy activity.

On the plus side I learned what shakshuka is from the post. I had to look it up. Looks delicious. On occasion we have huevos rancheros or a quiche for dinner or breakfast. Now I will add shakshuka to the egg entree menu.

Back
Top Bottom