Foraging for food - Nettles

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
5:17 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I use nettles a lot in our diet during the spring and summer months and really like them. They are a great source of nutrients and better for you than spinach, and tastier as well. Nettles are a neglected food source in many first world countries, nowadays.

There is masses of there on the Internet about nettles. Obviously spring is the best time to pick the new leaves, which are really good for you and will replace any greens in most recipes. Later on in the season you can eat the growing tips only where there is new growth, but if they are on your land, cut them down regularly and you will be able to eat them for much longer throughput the year. Nettle seed is also very good for you, but you need to be more careful with it and it is harder to collect (it is a potent endocrine stimulant even in small quantities) as are the roots. Nettle stems traditionally were also used to make string, rope and baskets/bags which I have done once, but it requires a lot of effort and a considerable quantity of nettles stems (this is a winter job done when the nettles have died back for the year)

Basically they are good for iron, calcium, potassium, manganese vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin D and vitamin K.

Good articles can be read here.
www.livestrong.com/article/350785-stinging-nettles-nutrition/
Www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urtica_dioica
www.eattheweeds.com/urtica-chamaedryoides-nettle-knowledge-2/

Last edited:
I was watching a program on TV last week (can't remember which one) and someone made nettle soup. Every time I see someone making something with nettles, I think I will give them a go and then never bother. I actually quite like the idea of nettle soup and I have a gard3en full of free supplies. I'm tempted to test it out on my children later.

I often use the nettles as a straight replacement on the plate for spinach or kale or cabbage, but I also have lots of recipes that I use nettles in like nettle pesto, nettle bread and nettle gnocchi. I think the one thing I have never done with them is make nettle soup!

Guy at work is an extremely keen forager and garden grower, he absolutely swears by nettles. I'm going to give them a go next Spring.

I often use the nettles as a straight replacement on the plate for spinach or kale or cabbage, but I also have lots of recipes that I use nettles in like nettle pesto, nettle bread and nettle gnocchi. I think the one thing I have never done with them is make nettle soup!
I've also used nettle tips in vegetable dishes, pasta sauces and curries. I like the idea of using them to make pesto.

I never tried nettle soup, because it does not really appeal to me, but I shall be using nettles again next year as they grow in abundance on common land close to where I live.

The recipe I use for nettle cordial requires twice that quantity of nettle leaves and tops which I find helped to add some kick to the recipe, that peppery taste and also reduce some of the sugar content. Otherwise the recipe is quite pale, bland and just sugar really. But as the season goes on you will find you need less nettle tops for the peppery taste. And as the season goes on, the cordial gets darker in colour as well.
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/nettle-cordial.337/

Nettles are the one thing that I am allergic to. I thought I would be safe eating Yarg (the Cornish nettle-wrapped cheese), but no. Explosion of itching, sneezing, wheezing, coughing, the full show.

Back
Top Bottom