Foraging for food

even washed the frying pan
:eek:

that bad?

that's something that never happens with either the omelette pan (which gets used as a frying pan because we don't have a frying pan) or my fryer come casserole dish which is a very wide casserole bowl designed to be used as a high sided frying pan as well - saves on washing up for those recipes that say frying the onion now add to a casserole bowl... neither ever get washed.

:eek:

that bad?

that's something that never happens with either the omelette pan (which gets used as a frying pan because we don't have a frying pan) or my fryer come casserole dish which is a very wide casserole bowl designed to be used as a high sided frying pan as well - saves on washing up for those recipes that say frying the onion now add to a casserole bowl... neither ever get washed.
Just shows/highlights a difference of opinions, on the same food item, between two countries.
Can get them at three local pick your own centres here.
It was the washing of the frying pan straight after I'd finished with it, that was unexpected.

Just shows/highlights a difference of opinions, on the same food item, between two countries.
Can get them at three local pick your own centres here.
It was the washing of the frying pan straight after I'd finished with it, that was unexpected.
hence why I had only quoted that part of your post. I never wash my frying pans.

Is that because they're cast iron?
no. I just don't wash them. they still season and one of them (the big wide casserole one) is so much better for never being washed - I know this because my OH washed the darn thing when I hurt my back and then complained that it wasn't cooking 'right'!
I don't see the need to wash something that is exposed to high heat and never has seen meat or fish products of any kind. What harm can veg do that high heat can't destroy?

no. I just don't wash them. they still season and one of them (the big wide casserole one) is so much better for never being washed - I know this because my OH washed the darn thing when I hurt my back and then complained that it wasn't cooking 'right'!
I don't see the need to wash something that is exposed to high heat and never has seen meat or fish products of any kind. What harm can veg do that high heat can't destroy?
Yes, you are right I expect - but as I use mine for meat and for some very strongly flavoured sauces, it might be another matter. What do you do, wipe them with kitchen roll?

Yes, you are right I expect - but as I use mine for meat and for some very strongly flavoured sauces, it might be another matter. What do you do, wipe them with kitchen roll?
yep - once they are cool, I just wipe them with a kitchen paper if they need it. As for with meat and fish, well think about the temperature that pan gets up to. Not much will survive that environment.

I grew up in the big city and live in the big city, so I do not know too much about foraging for food. I do see people pulling what I would call a weed up for greens in some areas and I have noticed some berries growing in a public area that look like they are ready to be harvested. I would not harvest them because I don't know if they are safe and as mentioned above they are near a highway and I think would get polluted from the car exhaust. I do think it is a good idea to know what is growing around you and whether or not you can eat it safely.

I grew up in the big city and live in the big city, so I do not know too much about foraging for food. I do see people pulling what I would call a weed up for greens in some areas and I have noticed some berries growing in a public area that look like they are ready to be harvested. I would not harvest them because I don't know if they are safe and as mentioned above they are near a highway and I think would get polluted from the car exhaust. I do think it is a good idea to know what is growing around you and whether or not you can eat it safely.
Having seen & fed animals "organic" feed as well as having been waist deep in what is spread on the fields. What might be in a plant at the side of the road pales in comparison.
Nature can adapt better than man can, and cope better.

Back
Top Bottom