Recipe Forbidden Rice Salad

CraigC

Guru
Local time
11:13 AM
The first time we made this was to try the black rice.

Ingredients

1 cup Thai black rice (also called forbidden rice)
2 Tbsp Tamari
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 tsp sambal oelek or other hot chili paste
1 cup roasted, unsalted cashews
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
6 green onions (scallions), thinly sliced
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions
1) Put the rice, 2 cups water, and a pinch of salt in a pan. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce the heat, and simmer gently until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 30 minutes.
2) Meanwhile, whisk the tamari, sesame oil, lime juice, and sambal oelek or chili paste together in a salad bowl.
3) Add the cashews, red and yellow bell peppers, and green onions.
4) When the rice is ready, add it to the mixture and toss to coat everything well.
5) Add salt, pepper, and additional sambal oelek or lime juice to taste. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Sounds interesting. I've not ever had Thai black rice. But I do have some black venus rice somewhere.

Is Thai black a glutinous rice?

@CraigC - that sounds like a really flavoursome dish - but I'm struggling to imagine what it looks like. Not sure that I've ever seen Thai black rice.

Any chance of a supplementary photo please?

Not glutinous. I don't have a picture of the finished dish nor do we have any black rice in the pantry.

I'm glad that only the rice is forbidden, and that it's not forbidden to eat it. Here's an image I found of the rice in a dish that sounds similar:

IMG_3196.jpg

Needless to say, I am going to have to find this somewhere and prepare it!

I've just realised that the black venus rice (venere rice) I have is actually forbidden rice. I'd thought it was an Italian grain - mainly, I think, because I bought it after @MypinchofItaly cooked a dish using it. But now I've found this:

VENERE RICE is a whole-grain rice with an unmistakable natural black colour that, while cooking, releases the characteristic scent of sandal wood and freshly baked bread. Originating from China, it is also currently cultivated in Italy, in the Po Valley.

It is known as the “Forbidden Rice of the Emperor“, as it is said to have been eaten only by him for its nutritional and aphrodisiac properties. The “Venere” rice has a high content of minerals, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Selenium, which are beneficial to our health.

http://www.risogallo.co.uk/products/specialty/venere-rice/

Forbidden Rice/black rice is nice with some mango or Mandarin oranges added in, and a side dish with salmon.

Nice combo. I cooked Venere rice with cauliflowers cream and bacon. There is also a sweet version I made with honey, almonds, orange and something else (maybe raisins) that now I don't remember exatly..

Back
Top Bottom