Fortified Wines

Discussion in 'Beverages, Drinks and Smoothies' started by impish, Apr 9, 2019.

1. impish

impish Regular Member

Many years ago, living in my birthplace outside of Chicago, I became acquainted by accident with a most-delicious wine imported from Sicily. It's name was "Sicilian Gold". There was also a competitor, imported from Italy, I think, named "Gold Drops Mandorcreama".

After moving out West, I was never able to find it anywhere. Hard to imagine such delicious product was not sold nation-wide. Ever hear of either?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2019
  2. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

Everything you need to know here about Sicilian Gold! We are talking marsala - so a sweet fortified wine. https://winevaultllc.com/affiliates/sicilian-gold/

It seems you can still get it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    impish likes this.
  3. morning glory

Sicilian Gold could be found in many unique bottles and decanters shapes into famous statues:

s-l300-2.jpg s-l300.jpg

4. morning glory

I use sherry in cooking and port too. In fact I rather like both as a drink occasionally too.

5. MrsDangermouse

MrsDangermouse Senior Member

We love fortified wine in this house, our favourites are port, commandaria and pineau des charentes. I quite like sherry too but for some reason never think of drinking it.

Whilst the red ports are generally drunk at cool room temperature after a meal, pink (rosé) and white ports make a great aperitif (served cold, maybe with 1 cube of ice). Its our tradition on holiday and on summer weekends to always observe Apero time :cheers:

Commandaria is quite difficult to get hold of outside of Cyprus so we don't get to drink it very often - if you've never tried it, it reminds me in some ways of a tawny port. And pineau des charentes is something we only discovered last year when we stayed in the grounds of a Cognac distillery. Its apparently very popular in the mid-western part of France but not we've not found it that easy to find outside the area. The white version is our favourite, and the rosé is also nice. Not so keen on red though.

epicuric, rascal and impish like this.
  6. morning glory

These are new to me.

rascal likes this.
  7. Mewmew

Mewmew Active Member

What does fortified actually mean?

rascal likes this.
  8. morning glory

Good question. The word 'fortified' means just that - a defence in case of attack (a fort for example!). In other words its something which is strengthened. In terms of wine it means wine with something stronger added in making it - usually a spirit such as brandy.

rascal likes this.
  9. rascal

rascal Über Member

I think I have a wee bit of sherry leftover from Xmas trifle. In the back of the cupboard ??

Russ

10. Mewmew

Mewmew Active Member

Gotcha. Thanks. :)