Free range or........

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
12:09 AM
store bought.? I'm lucky I get my trays of 20 free range jumbo for $10 a tray. I get them from a guy about 20 mins away, I txt him and he leaves them with his neighbour for me. I normally get 3 trays , me my son and a friend. I normally get 50/50 eggs with double yolks. The yolks are orange, real fresh. Do you buy store bought because it's easy?

Russ

Never store bought. Mostly get eggs from our butcher, who stocks Burford Brown and Cotswold Legbar eggs from a local farm, both have lovely deep orange yolks. There is a thread about egg yolks somewhere.

On Sunday morning I was faced with a severe egg shortage - a chocolate tart and a bearnaise sauce the day before having consumed 11 eggs between them! The only place I could buy eggs at 8 a.m. on a Sunday morning was a small dairy farm about 10 miles away that I sometimes buy milk from. A forty minute trip later, I returned with half a tray of free range eggs - £1, and a litre of fresh unpasteurised milk - also £1. Fuel cost, a little bit more than that!

Shop bought but free range - there are more free range eggs on sale in supermarkets in the UK than non free-range and that includes budget supermarkets such as Aldi.

I too buy Burford Browns or Cotswold Legbar (blue eggs) and a brand with the deepest yellow yolk of all, Black Farmer eggs - all stocked by on-line supermarkets.

I must confess I occasionally buy store bought if I'm making scotch eggs. Mainly because free range are large whereas store are quite small. Instead of 4 I get 6. My kids come from anywhere when they know I've made them.

I get most of my eggs from the Co-op, where all eggs are free range. I believe that the Co-op was the first UK supermarket to do this. Now and then we get eggs (also free range) from the greengrocer. These are a little more expensive, but very good.

One farm here used to advertise free range eggs, but they got done a few years ago because they were actually battery eggs. They got premium prices for cheap eggs. Where I get mine you can see them running around in paddocks.

Russ

Duck eggs either straight from the village or from the market (they originated from the village). If they are in short supply (which is rare), chicken eggs from the supermarket. The duck eggs are obviously free range but I haven't a clue about the chicken eggs.

I've never tried a duck egg, do you poach like an ordinary egg?? Taste?? Never even given it a thought.

Russ

Exactly the same. The shells tend to be thicker (and tougher) and the yolk is a beautiful orange colour.

sausage beans egg toast s.jpg

I'm gonna have to try, I'll ask my egg man if he can get them. Thanks.

Russ

Duck eggs may also be significantly larger (and therefore heavier) so you should expect to pay more per egg.

duck eggs size s.jpg

By coincidence, the Fat Lady's restaurant in the village is currently closed (she's across country) so it means my wife has to prepare her own food. She wanted to cook two eggs - we had one chicken egg left plus the 10 new duck eggs so this is what she's cooking:

Duck egg chicken egg s.jpg

The duck egg itself was only around 20% bigger than the chicken egg, if that.

A friend from another forum conducted some research and found:

Duck eggs are larger and have a longer shelf life.
Duck eggs have a higher (good!) fat content
Duck eggs are higher in protein than chicken eggs,
Duck eggs have a little bit more cholesterol than chicken eggs (again, this is a good thing!)
Duck eggs contain more vitamins and minerals- such as iron, B12, folate and vitamin A
Duck eggs are full of Omega-3 fatty acids

However, I have found no evidence that eating duck eggs make you smarter than if you were to eat chicken eggs

boiled eggs 3 s.jpg

However, I have found no evidence that eating duck eggs make you smarter than if you were to eat chicken eggs

:laugh:

Duck eggs have a higher (good!) fat content

I can definitely taste the difference - they taste much richer. Same with quail's eggs which are of course, much smaller but do taste richer. We can get duck eggs quite easily in the supermarkets here in the UK. That didn't used to be the case...

Back
Top Bottom