Freezing batter.

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
9:12 PM
When making batter for deep frying fish, prawns etc., we usually end up throwing half of it away. Today, I took that half and put it in an airtight container and then in the freezer. The batter was tempura flour, salt, bi-carb, paprika and beer (no egg). I'll see what happens.

Has anyone else frozen batter successfully?

I read on the internet that on condition that you do not use egg in the batter, freezing does not reduce the quality significantly.

I do not believe everything I read on the internet.

It costs nothing to give it a try.

To freeze batter shouldn't be a problem. But you could solve your problem with a better measuring, so you don't have to freeze anything.

To freeze batter shouldn't be a problem. But you could solve your problem with a better measuring, so you don't have to freeze anything.

A couple of fishcakes do not need much batter. However, the batter has to be deep enough to permit the fishcake to be fully immersed and coated. Difficult to get it spot on.

Put the batter in a glass that is just big enough for the fishcakes and dip them in

That won't work. Not with my expertise anyway.

The ingredients of batter are not expensive (although throwing away beer is against my principles). The reason for freezing (and subsequently re-using) is cutting down my wife's workload in making more batter.

I had the exact same thought. :okay:

CD

But when your fishcakes are all different sizes? Different size glasses? Or just one big one?

And when the glass is half empty after removing the first fishcake?

Do you make the batter in the glass? Or transfer it from another receptacle?

But when your fishcakes are all different sizes? Different size glasses? Or just one big one?

And when the glass is half empty after removing the first fishcake?

Do you make the batter in the glass? Or transfer it from another receptacle?

That's how you make corndogs at home. But yes, hot dogs on a stick are all the same.

CD

That's how you make corndogs at home. But yes, hot dogs on a stick are all the same.

CD

I can imaging that sausages (or whatever) on a stick would probably work. But try holding a fish and potato sandwich together whilst dipping it in batter in a glass. For one thing it's slippy and for another, it would need to be a bloody big glass to get the fishcake plus my hand in there.

I can imaging that sausages (or whatever) on a stick would probably work. But try holding a fish and potato sandwich together whilst dipping it in batter in a glass. For one thing it's slippy and for another, it would need to be a bloody big glass to get the fishcake plus my hand in there.

Hmmmmm. Fishcakes on a stick. Coming to a State Fair near you. 💡

CD

My suggestion would be to make the batter in an extra bowl, transfer the batter into a glass that has enough room for the biggest fish sandwich and instead of hands I would use a salad tong.

Back
Top Bottom