Freezing or Canning? Which one do you prefer to do?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
2:20 PM
I find that freezing is much easier to do. Even though I have a pressure canner, I think that freezing is the easiest thing.

You just make sure that the fruits & veggies are wrapped real tight, put them in the freezer & forget about it!! :wink:

Ziploc Vacuum Sealer..jpg

If you decide that you want to freeze your fruits & veggies, then one of these is a MUST HAVE!!:wink:

You just make sure that the fruits & veggies are wrapped real tight, put them in the freezer & forget about it!! :wink:

I agree that freezing is easier - problem is that I often do forget about them! Then several years later...

I've got a vacuum sealer like the one above which came as part of my 'sous-vide' kit (when you 'sous-vide' the food is submerged in the water bath in a vacuum pack, along with seasonings). It hadn't occurred to me but obviously I could store 'ready to go' sous-vide meals in the freezer. I think they would need to be defrosted first, though otherwise the water bath temperature would drop.

My mom used to can pickles and jelly. She also froze fruits and veggies and stuff when cheap in season.

The freezing stock pile has bit me in the butt when a hurricane blows thru and the freezer can't run cause there is no power and you lose all your stock pile.

I agree that freezing is easier - problem is that I often do forget about them! Then several years later...

I've got a vacuum sealer like the one above which came as part of my 'sous-vide' kit (when you 'sous-vide' the food is submerged in the water bath in a vacuum pack, along with seasonings). It hadn't occurred to me but obviously I could store 'ready to go' sous-vide meals in the freezer. I think they would need to be defrosted first, though otherwise the water bath temperature would drop.

I have the same thing, but not the sous vide. So far, it hasn't given me a bit of trouble!! :wink:

One day after I started this thread, a fire had ripped through someone's apt down the hall!! We had lost ALL food that was stored in the fridges & freezers because the power was turned off!! Had no power for almost a month. Those who had no renter's insurance (I was one of them) couldn't be reimbursed for the massive loss!!

It taught us a valuable lesson. Get coverage for food losses!! :eek::stop::headshake:

Canning then freezing. I grew up with hurricanes and tornadoes. Freezers only lasted so long in natural disasters. We move every few of years. Canning works for me. I do make it a habit starting in August to use up everything in the freezer by Thanksgiving. Gotta have the room...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom