Recipe French Mussels with White Wine.

Francesca

Local time
2:11 AM
For those fond of Fresh Mussels prepared in White Wine, this is an absolutely delicacy for an appetiser or main course ..

1 Kilo of fresh mussels ( washed thoroughly & de-bearded )
3 Tablespoons of Evoo ( French Provençal Evoo would be ideal or Italian Evoo )
3 / 4 Cup of a dry White wine - preferably French
4 tblps. of French or French style Butter
1 Minched shallot or spring onion or scallion
2 minced garlic cloves
1 / 2 of a small bunch of minced fresh parsley
1/ 8 Cup of Cream ( Optional, however, you shall require more White Wine ) ..
To Dip: Some fresh crusty bread
To Sip: The same White wine you have prepared the dish with or a Prosecco or Cava or Champagne or a sparkling White Wine of choice ..

1) Heat the Evoo in a Dutch type Casserole (with a cover which you shall need to cover the mussels).
2) Add the shallot and the garlic and sauté until tender ( just 2 - 3 minutes )
3) Now add the cleaned de-bearded mussels.
4) Additionally, add the wine, butter, parsley and then the cream ..
5) Simmer covered for 12 minutes or until the mussels are open and cooked ..
6) Serve with a salad of choice, and / or French Fries and Homemade Mayonnaise .. And a glass or 2 of White sparkling wine ..

Voila .. Wonderful ..

Photo Copyright: Francesca Guillamet ..

MUSSELS20140531_094235.jpg

Last edited:
I love mussels in white wine but I really can't take the cream. Personally, I don't think they need it - I like the clean seafood taste without. The rest of the recipe is spot on!I am hoping to have mussels tomorrow (as well as oysters) as I'm having dinner in a seafood restaurant.

I love mussels in white wine but I really can't take the cream. Personally, I don't think they need it - I like the clean seafood taste without. The rest of the recipe is spot on!I am hoping to have mussels tomorrow (as well as oysters) as I'm having dinner in a seafood restaurant.

@morning glory

Yes, I tried it with the cream however, I too prefer with out the cream .. I do not care much for cream in anything but I was playing ..

I like all my seafood, shellfish and finned fish, very simple and a taste of the "sea" ..

Thanks .. Have a lovely evening ..

Seems very hard to get nice size mussels in the USA.
Every time I see them on the menu, they come out about size of a dime...very disappointing because I really enjoy them.

What may I ask is French Style Butter?

@Cinisajoy

The difference between French butter and Usa butter is that the French butter is cultured denoting that it has been churned much longer and contains 82% butter-fat.

Usa butter contains 80% butter - fat ..

So, French style butter or French butter is much creamier and excels in baking !!

Have a nice day ..

@Cinisajoy

I would check the Maine - New England coastal region, and see when their Mussel Season is .. They prefer very Icy cold waters ..

I believe it is during the pre - Christmas season ..

This would be a good time to buy mussels ..

@Cinisajoy is a very long way from the Maine coast so not much hope there! In any case, the OP was @Dados1950 who lives in New Jersey. A bit nearer to Maine, I suppose.

We are lucky in the UK - not only are mussels cheap and easily available, they are of good size too.

@Cinisajoy is a very long way from the Maine coast so not much hope there! In any case, the OP was @Dados1950 who lives in New Jersey. A bit nearer to Maine, I suppose.

We are lucky in the UK - not only are mussels cheap and easily available, they are of good size too.

@morning glory

Yes, I believe we had paid 3 Euros a kilo, for mussels and 8 Euros a kilo for the Oysters in Marseille Vieux Port and we rode back on my parents boat to Cadaques .. We put them on ice of course .. The oysters were literally gone by the time we hit Cadaqués !!

Yes, Maine is on the Eastern Canadian border ..

I am sure that Cinisajoy could find a mussel source online .. or maybe she knows a local friend who knows a local Chef who would sell some to her ..

Anyway, have a lovely day ..

Slightly more than a bit.
Google tells me I am 2353 miles from Maine.
New Jersey is 516 miles from Maine.

@Francesca On the mussels and online, not without paying 3 arms and 4 legs.

Slightly more than a bit.
Google tells me I am 2353 miles from Maine.
New Jersey is 516 miles from Maine.

@Francesca On the mussels and online, not without paying 3 arms and 4 legs.

@Cinisajoy

Yes, I am aware it is quite far from Texas ..

How far are you from the Gulf Coast ? What types of shellfish are available from the Gulf ?

Well, perhaps some one on C.B. may be able to express mail some to you at a decent price ..

We pay 3 Euros a Kilo ! That is $ 3.00 Usd more or less ..

How much are they in New Jersey ?

Mostly shrimp and I am 500 miles (804 km) from the coast.
Oh and I would bet way more that $1.50 a pound on the Mussels even in Maine.
Any seafood here except for tilapia and processed fish in the US is expensive. Just for shrimp you would be looking at no less than $13 a kilogram. It is the cheapest. Salmon would run about $22 a kilogram on sale.

Mostly shrimp and I am 500 miles (804 km) from the coast.
Oh and I would bet way more that $1.50 a pound on the Mussels even in Maine.
Any seafood here except for tilapia and processed fish in the US is expensive. Just for shrimp you would be looking at no less than $13 a kilogram. It is the cheapest. Salmon would run about $22 a kilogram on sale.

804 Kilometres is quite far ..

Salmon @ $ 22.00 Usd a kilo ! This is quite pricey .. Is it the Transport cost from Alaska or Canada ? .. Is most of the salmon Alaskan or Canadian ? or the Northwest ?

Salmon is approx. between 10 - 11 Euros a Kilo for Norwegian standard and wild is approx .. 13 - 16 Euros a kilo.

Scottish wild is approx 15 -18 Euros a kilo + depending on season ..

Prawns here are relatively reasonable as it is a Spanish ingredient .. Approx. 8 to 12 Euros a kilo depending on type and season.

Have a nice evenig.
I am going to leave my office now ..
20.00 .. Lots of paperwork online !

Back
Top Bottom