Recipe French Silk Pie with meringue pie shell

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
10:40 AM
A picture will have to wait until I get around to making it.

PIE FILLING
1 cup whipping cream
6 ounces semisweet chocolate pieces
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup sugar
2 egg yolks, beaten
3 tablespoons whipping cream

Optional
whipped cream (for serving)
chocolate curls (for garnish)

Note: You can, of course, make this with a pastry pie crust. Blind bake the crust and let cool completely before filling. I like the meringue pie shell simply because that is the way I had it the first time I ever had French Silk pie and it has always remained my favorite. I don't normally use the nuts in the meringue pie shell, but may try it with some almonds next time I make.

Directions
In a heavy 2-quart saucepan, combine the 1 cup whipping cream, chocolate pieces, butter and sugar. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, till chocolate is melted, about 10 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Gradually stir about half of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks. Return egg mixture to saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, till mixture is slightly thickened and almost bubbly-- 3 to 5 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat. Stir in whipping cream. Place saucepan in a bowl of ice water, stir occasionally till mixture stiffens and becomes hard to stir (20 minutes). Transfer chocolate mixture to a medium mixing bowl. Beat the cooled chocolate mixture with an electric mixer on Medium to High speed until light and fluffy 2 or 3 minutes. Spread filling in the pie shell. Cover and chill pie 4-5 hours or until set. Best served within 24 hours, but will last 3-4 days if stored properly.

Serve with whipped cream and a garnish with chocolate curls as desired.

MERINGUE PIE SHELL
3 egg whites
Pinch of salt
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup sugar
Butter for greasing the pie pan
1/3 cup finely chopped nuts (almond, walnuts, pecans, macadamia, etc.) Optional

Combine the egg whites, salt and cream of tartar and beat to a stiff foam. Beat in the vanilla. Add the sugar gradually, beating until peaks are formed and the sugar is dissolved. Spread in a well-buttered 9-inch pie pan. Build up the sides; sprinkle the bottom with chopped nuts if desired. Bake in a 275-degree oven for 1 hour. Cool and fill.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom