French toast in a cup

kgord

Veteran
Local time
5:42 AM
I wanted to try something different for breakfast this AM so I made this:
Threre are several versions of this around. I made the Allrecipes version.
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 egg, beaten

SMU_Target_SB_Organic_Eggs.jpg.d.jpg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon white sugar

SMU_Target_MP_Gr_Sug_4lbs.jpg.d.jpg
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 slices bread, cut into cubes
  • Add all ingredients
Basically you butter the sides, cook for 90 seconds in a cup in the microwave..and voila you have it! It was ok, I may not have mixed it well enough though because I could tase the salt throughout...if I make this again...I will mix it like crazy..

I wanted to try something different for breakfast this AM so I made this:
Threre are several versions of this around. I made the Allrecipes version.
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 egg, beaten

SMU_Target_SB_Organic_Eggs.jpg.d.jpg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon white sugar

SMU_Target_MP_Gr_Sug_4lbs.jpg.d.jpg
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 slices bread, cut into cubes
  • Add all ingredients
Basically you butter the sides, cook for 90 seconds in a cup in the microwave..and voila you have it! It was ok, I may not have mixed it well enough though because I could tase the salt throughout...if I make this again...I will mix it like crazy..
Not quite understanding why it tasted salty as there is no salt listed in your ingredients!

I do not think the egg cooked in the microwave for ninety seconds is good for me. Well that is just me being extra cautious now with the use of eggs. I might not use it at all in this recipe. Can you add some fresh fruits in there like a strawberry or banana?

I am also wondering where the taste of salt came from. I have seen this type of recipe before and wonder if the taste of egg in the bread is strong. I am not a lover of eggs and if I can smell the egg or taste the egg in food I don't eat them. I do not do a lot of French Toast eating, strange I know.

I am not a fan of cooking eggs in the microwave and it sounds like it would be much work
as it would to make it the traditional way. I was also wondering about the salt thing.

No, it isn't a lot of work. The good thing is that it takes far fewer dishes than traditional French Toast...I think raisins would make a nice addition to this dish, make it more like a bread pudding. I must confess though, I didn't really measure the salt. I may have put too much in!

Not quite understanding why it tasted salty as there is no salt listed in your ingredients!
There was salt in the ingredient list..I just noticed that the salt did not come up when I posted this...It called for 1/4 tsp of salt..and I used kosher salt..maybe that is saltier than table salt I have no idea.

Well it wouldn't be the first time I have been goofy or "daft" as you in the UK would put it! Apparently, I was so used to seeing added salt in recipes I manufactured it.
No salt next go round!

Back
Top Bottom