French vanilla oatmeal recipe?

t2diabetic

Local time
4:54 PM
Hi, hope this is the right channel.

I am trying to lower my cholesterol, have type 2 diabetes, and really like Oatmeal, at least, the type that Quaker oats makes called "French Vanilla w/ zero sugar". I don't as much like the kind I make. I am trying to use other "thicker" oats.

The problem is my oatmeal tastes watery, as all it has is water and oatmeal. I don't like the creamier kind w/ milk.

Does anyone know what it takes to duplicate the sweeter "french vanilla" taste in Quaker oats? So far I've tried adding a teaspoon of vanilla powder p/ cup of oats and a teaspoon of erythritol sweetner, to no avail.

If you used milk or cream, I'd say add some vanilla extract to the milk. But you don't. I wonder what would happen if you added it to your water?

I like to pour real maple syrup on mine, but that would not be good for your diabetes, now would it. :facepalm:

BTW, I assume you have discussed erythritol with your doctor?

CD

I am trying everything vegan atm and therefore not using diary products. Erythritol is supposed to be ok according to the health folks. I'll keep checking back in case anyone knows of something. Thanks.

I am trying everything vegan atm and therefore not using diary products. Erythritol is supposed to be ok according to the health folks. I'll keep checking back in case anyone knows of something. Thanks.
I'd suggest using oat milk. It will add a creamier nature to the oats that water alone won't.

I prefer oats with soy milk though. I won't do water alone. It just doesn't do anything for me. You cloud even try a vanilla soy milk if you wanted to, but personally I prefer the unsweetened versions. I use Bonsoy but I don't know if it is available in the US.

Other options that work well at cashew nut milk (you'll need to make your own), almond milk (unsweetened). I haven't really taken to rice milk. It really is too watery for my liking.

Remember you don't have to use 100% non-dairy milk, you can dilute it with water if it's too rich for the porridge.

I can't help on the sweetener though. I prefer to add a serving of jam or similar (apple butter, plum butter, I make my own and it doesn't include the high quantity of sugar that commercial versions do).

Hi, hope this is the right channel.

I am trying to lower my cholesterol, have type 2 diabetes, and really like Oatmeal, at least, the type that Quaker oats makes called "French Vanilla w/ zero sugar". I don't as much like the kind I make. I am trying to use other "thicker" oats.

The problem is my oatmeal tastes watery, as all it has is water and oatmeal. I don't like the creamier kind w/ milk.

Does anyone know what it takes to duplicate the sweeter "french vanilla" taste in Quaker oats? So far I've tried adding a teaspoon of vanilla powder p/ cup of oats and a teaspoon of erythritol sweetner, to no avail.
Maybe try almond milk or oat milk (neither is dairy) + tsp vanilla? And maybe try steel-cut oats (longer cooking time may yield to overnight soak)?

Back
Top Bottom