Fresh Coriander/Cilantro

Which parts of the fresh coriander plant do you use?

• Total voters

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
3:04 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com

I've been using more and more parts of the fresh coriander plant after watching (don't shoot me just yet please) TV cooking shows.

I never used to use the roots at all. In fact I have to confess to never really understanding why they sold coriander with roots on. I don't think I recall bunched coriander with roots for sale in the UK, only if it was potted. But since moving to Australia, I've become aware of coriander roots simply because that is pretty much how it is sold here, bunched leaves, stems and roots, no soil.

One or two of my recipes would say to include the stems, often added much earlier in the recipe. But since watching the cooking shows, and signing up to a Vietnamese vegan cooking blog, I've started including the roots now by default.

So I'm curious, do you use all of the plant in your cooking or were you unaware that the roots are edible. It seems that Thai and Asian cooking use the roots far more.

I use the lot with different uses. Roots for thai curry. Stems for thai salads and leaf for garnish and serving curries. So I couldn't tick 1 box.

Russ

I use the lot with different uses. Roots for thai curry. Stems for thai salads and leaf for garnish and serving curries. So I couldn't tick 1 box.

Russ
Need a 3rd option for you, all of the above?

When I use it, which is rarely, I just stick to the leaves. I like it, MrsT does not.

I use the whole plant. Sometimes leaves, sometimes leaves and stalks, sometimes the root. The root is delicious in east-Asian dishes, especially salad dishes. I cook a lot of Indian food with coriander. Coriander is used extensively in Venezuela, in everything from soups to salads. In fact, if you go to eat in a Meat restaurant, the servers will come out with a coriander-laden broth as an appetiser. So I ticked all three!

We get great coriander here, very fresh, straight out of the ground and it comes with the roots, still spotted with the earth that it was growing in. I don't eat that bit - I cut them off and throw it. I use everything else - leaves for various things, the stems I chop into fine bits either for cooking or garnishing.

I'd use roots more often if I could get them but coriander in the UK is usually sold without. I do grow my own sometimes though - its easy to grow.
Same thing here. It's also something I'd like to grow at home, so I could have a fresh supply every time I need it, but I tried it once with disappoint results - my homegrown coriander tasted horribly bland, nothing like the fresh, bright coriander I get from the market.

Square boxes, not round. You can tick add many as applies, otherwise I'd need to include combinations like "roots & leaves, not stems" or roots & stems no leaves.

Thanks.
I didn't need to explore that because only 1 applied to me.

I didn't need to explore that because only 1 applied to me.
It's usually a 'standard' across most digital forms... But that's the geek in me coming out. Round buttons are assays single option, only 1, square tick boxes are as many (or up to x many) as you want.

But I'm certain others will contradict me, lol.

Back
Top Bottom