2 tsp cornflour

280ml milk

Apple Glaze

Four sweet apples cored and peeled

Currants

A 500g mix of red white and blackcurrants

Prepare the tart base:

1. Roll out and blind bake with baking beans for 20 minutes

2. Bake for a further five without them.

3. Take out of oven and leave on side to cool

To create the creme patissiere filling

1. Beat the egg yolks and sugar until pale and slightly thickened.

2. Whisk in the flours.

3. Heat the milk in a saucepan until it starts to boil

4. Whisk the milk into the egg mix.

5. Return the whole lot back into the pan, stirring all the time until thick and boiling.

6. Take the pan off the heat and pour into the base of the tart

Apple glaze

1. Four sweet apples cored and chunked and boiled in a little water and 4 dsp of caster sugar

2. Leave to cool bait and then whiz in the blender.

3. Pour the apple glaze on the now set creme patissiere

Currant Topping
Sprinkle the currants across the top.

Place in oven for half an hour at 200°C.

As the tart cooks the currants will sink into the glaze.

Leave to cool and shake some icing sugar over the top via a sieve.

Serve with cream.

Thankyou - it is! I am trying out fruits that seem to be overlooked - seem to have ot a fascination for them for some reason! In the UK fresh currants have all but disappeared from mainstream retailers which is a shame.

Thankyou - it is! I am trying out fruits that seem to be overlooked - seem to have ot a fascination for them for some reason! In the UK fresh currants have all but disappeared from mainstream retailers which is a shame.
Yes - in France red currants and white currants are always on sale in supermarkets when in season. The white ones are particularly beautiful.

Another overlooked fruit is the gooseberry - and loganberries which I remember as a child.

Another overlooked fruit is the gooseberry - and loganberries which I remember as a child.
Yes - we had good loganberries this year but little or no gooseberries... Logans are particularly wonderful for that sharp/sweet spect that goes so well in jam (and is less cloying than raspberry ). And raspberries are one of my favourite fruits so that is saying something!!! The gooseberry is interestingly complex and I am looking to develop some savoury recipe ideas with them.

Yes - we had good loganberries this year but little or no gooseberries... Logans are particularly wonderful for that sharp/sweet spect that goes so well in jam (and is less cloying than raspberry ). And raspberries are one of my favourite fruits so that is saying something!!! The gooseberry is interestingly complex and I am looking to develop some savoury recipe ideas with them.
Classically its gooseberries with mackerel, I think. But they would work well with spicy flavours. A salsa, perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom